Closest climbing to Las Vegas, NOT managed by fed gov't?

By SethG
Apr 6, 2011

Let's say hypothetically you are in Las Vegas this weekend to climb but the government shuts down on Friday. And let's assume the shutdown closes national parks and similar places managed by the government like Red Rock National Conservation Area and Joshua Tree National Park.

Now I know several areas at Red Rocks can be accessed from public roads. But if these are the only areas available it might be kind of unpleasant to be there.

Would you hop in your car and drive? Where would you go for trad? For sport?

By cheifitj
From Boulder, Colorado
Apr 6, 2011
Casual Route Pitch 3  <br />Photo by Mark Cushman

I think the gate should be left open if they shut down!

By R. Moran
From Moab , UT
Apr 6, 2011
REtro

Calico bASIN IS FULL OF SPORT AND TRAD. Should not be a problem to access. Along with First Creek,Black Velvet,Windy Canyon,MT. Charleston, MT. Potosi. Lone MTN. Gun CLub, Area 51, Robbers Roost, ETC. These are all under some sort of federal jurisdiction but are uncloseable. I.E. No tollbooth to operate.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, R. Moran has a good list. Temps will be iffy anyway this weekend all across the southwest.

Arrow Canyon and Christmas Tree Pass are two other options.

I'm not sure about JTree- the booth will be closed, but I dont remember if there are gates they will close or if it'll just be unmanned and entry is free.

By Darren in Vegas
From Las Vegas, NV
Apr 6, 2011
Skiing around.

I know this is a bit redundant, but I had already put it together so I thought I would share the links to Red Rock areas you can get to without entering the loop road.

Calico Basin, Oak Creek (with a bit of walking), First Creek and Black Velvet . Plus, I would imagine you could still hike over the Calico Hills (First Pullout,Second Pullout and Sandstone Quarry) from the Calico Basin and get to some of the areas in pullouts.

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
Apr 6, 2011
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim

one more for trad: Windy Peak

By Darin Berdinka
Apr 6, 2011

2 hours north is Snow Creek Canyon State Park in St George. A red rockish type experience.

By Roots
From Tustin, CA
Apr 6, 2011

Which direction you want to go?

Virgin River Gorge or New Jack in Barstow.

By Owen Darrow
From Garmisch,
Apr 6, 2011
Nice view

Get on your bike and go around the gate or walk around the gate, over the gate could be another option(:

By NickinCO
From colorado
Apr 6, 2011
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

I'll be out there climbing the 13-17. If it isn't open it'll just be a longer hike. I just bought an annual pass too!

By nick serrano
From Albuquerque, NM
Apr 7, 2011
Chest Full of Kind (IC 5.10)

there's a good bit of limestone around that doesn't depend on an open gate: Lone Mountain, Water World, etc...

By Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Apr 7, 2011
new toy

Nick Mardirosian wrote:

Really not that big of a deal to park on the road and hike in. The plus side will be less of a crowd.