Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
ClimbTech Removable Climbing Anchor?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Jul 2, 2012
alaska
Has anyone heard of or used these things before?

climbtechgear.com/1-2-removabl...

agd
Joined Mar 31, 2010
30 points
Jul 2, 2012
They have been around for years, they used to make 3/8" ones which I had for groung-up drilling until they fell apart. They are a pain to remove, even worse if you fall on them. Jim Titt
From Germany
Joined Nov 10, 2009
195 points
Jul 2, 2012
alaska
Can you whip on them or are they meant for body weight only? agd
Joined Mar 31, 2010
30 points
Jul 2, 2012
Drinking breakfast before climbing the elephant pe...
From what I understand, they have been redesigned recently to make them easier to remove. There was a thread about them a while ago.

mountainproject.com/v/removabl...

  • Edit, link wasn't working
Bretterick Briggs
From Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Aug 6, 2009
7 points
Jul 2, 2012
alexdavis wrote:
Can you whip on them or are they meant for body weight only?



"ClimbTech Co-Founder Falls 50ft Using ClimbTech Removable Bolt"

Allen Corneau
From Houston, TX
Joined May 6, 2008
91 points
Administrator
Jul 2, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Now there's a guy that stands behind his product. Not to mention falling way above it. Good for him. That's pretty awesome. Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,147 points
Jul 2, 2012
me
So, That must be fun climbing around looking for the holes to plug those things into Kenny Thompson
From Cottage grove oregon
Joined Feb 4, 2010
605 points
Jul 2, 2012
Rrrrr
What can I say? It's the storyline of my life Buff Johnson
Joined Dec 19, 2005
1,499 points
Jul 3, 2012
Looks like the patent was granted in 1996, I got mine maybe 10 yrs ago.
The removing sleeve has been improved, thatīs the bit you have to hit with a hammer and a pin to get them free and was a weak point on he older models.
The big problem was using them for aiding when bolting ground-up as the repeated bending screws up the thin wires on the spoons, in the end the centre cable breaks as well.
A good product even though, I tried to get them to make a batch of the 3/8" model again but no interest from their side.

They never caught on for free climbing because climbers would have to invest about $500+ for routes which donīt really exist (a couple of desert towers were drilled for these). Then there is the question of stuck ones and hole wear which made their long-term future dubious. And they are a bit weak in terms of replacing bolts and you need to go up to the 1" ones for a true like-for-like equivalent at $250 bucks a go though Iīd be happy enough with the 3/4" ones myself, still going to be a pricey rack!
Jim Titt
From Germany
Joined Nov 10, 2009
195 points
Jul 11, 2012
Grande Grotto
Jim Titt wrote:
Looks like the patent was granted in 1996, I got mine maybe 10 yrs ago. The removing sleeve has been improved, thatīs the bit you have to hit with a hammer and a pin to get them free and was a weak point on he older models. The big problem was using them for aiding when bolting ground-up as the repeated bending screws up the thin wires on the spoons, in the end the centre cable breaks as well. A good product even though, I tried to get them to make a batch of the 3/8" model again but no interest from their side. They never caught on for free climbing because climbers would have to invest about $500+ for routes which donīt really exist (a couple of desert towers were drilled for these). Then there is the question of stuck ones and hole wear which made their long-term future dubious. And they are a bit weak in terms of replacing bolts and you need to go up to the 1" ones for a true like-for-like equivalent at $250 bucks a go though Iīd be happy enough with the 3/4" ones myself, still going to be a pricey rack!


The Totem Cam guys look like they're working on 10mm RB for future release Jim so you may be in luck!


Totem 10mm RB
mattm
From TX
Joined Jun 2, 2006
1,238 points
Jul 11, 2012
Magic Ed
I still have a couple of the old-style 3/8th's which I use when bolting on lead when I can't get a good hook placement. I've never fallen on one but they certainly hold body weight. Here's a couple being used as an anchor. I trusted them to rap off and jumar back up the next day.


rb's in action
rb's in action
Ed Wright
Joined May 14, 2006
332 points
Jul 11, 2012
mattm wrote:
The Totem Cam guys look like they're working on 10mm RB for future release Jim so you may be in luck! Totem 10mm RB


Good news!
Jim Titt
From Germany
Joined Nov 10, 2009
195 points
Jul 12, 2012
Ed, why don't you have those two rb's side by side and equalized?? c. christopher spikes
Joined May 1, 2012
0 points
Jul 13, 2012
c. christopher spikes wrote:
Ed, why don't you have those two rb's side by side and equalized??



I'm not Ed, but it's a vertically-oriented anchor just like this one from Fixe (and Ed's looks fairly equalized to me):

Allen Corneau
From Houston, TX
Joined May 6, 2008
91 points
Jul 13, 2012
Stabby
Mr. Spikes: the vertical orientation is far superior to side by side in terms of loading, and he has them equalized too. How long have you been at this? Mike Lane
From Centennial, CO
Joined Jan 21, 2006
839 points
Jul 13, 2012
Magic Ed
I was still moving up and had intended to place a real bolt a little higher but I ran outa juice for the drill. Like others have replied, those are fairly well equalized. By the way, this was almost 500 feet off the deck, so again, I trust these rb's. Ed Wright
Joined May 14, 2006
332 points
Jul 14, 2012
mattm wrote:
The Totem Cam guys look like they're working on 10mm RB for future release Jim so you may be in luck! Totem 10mm RB


I met up with Mikel the Totem guy at the Outdoor show and got one to try. They are going to be 10mm so you guys might be out of luck though for us itīs better, on the old 3/8" model in a 10mm hole the outer spoons moved too far up the cone and made them a bit of a pain to remove. It just fits into a 3/8 hole in a piece of metal but going to be interesting in the typically not-round hole you get drilling rock.
Jim Titt
From Germany
Joined Nov 10, 2009
195 points
Jul 14, 2012
Grande Grotto
Jim Titt wrote:
I met up with Mikel the Totem guy at the Outdoor show and got one to try. They are going to be 10mm so you guys might be out of luck though for us itīs better, on the old 3/8" model in a 10mm hole the outer spoons moved too far up the cone and made them a bit of a pain to remove. It just fits into a 3/8 hole in a piece of metal but going to be interesting in the typically not-round hole you get drilling rock.


I wonder if that 0.5mm difference could be made up for with a bit of wiggling of the 3/8in bit while drilling?
mattm
From TX
Joined Jun 2, 2006
1,238 points
Jul 15, 2012
mattm wrote:
I wonder if that 0.5mm difference could be made up for with a bit of wiggling of the 3/8in bit while drilling?


That would work but possibly it makes using the hole later for a 3/8" bolt a bit questionable, this someone will have to test I guess but not me as imperial drills and bolts are even harder to buy in Europe than metric ones in the USA.
I tried in a metal block with a 3/8" hole (Iīve still some metal-working drills from way back) and it just goes in but the little removing sleeve is really tight which might give problems.
Jim Titt
From Germany
Joined Nov 10, 2009
195 points
Jul 16, 2012
The 3/8" were made for a long time and eventually we stopped for a couple reasons.

First, they don't have an application for industrial fall protection or rope access. The 1/2" are used for positioning.

Second, they're small, the 1/2"ers are small as is and with the spoons and the wires and the cone...its hard to fit all that in 3/8" with so much going on.

We do get some requests for them so this is great to have Totem spending time on these. Totem makes great cams and I bet they'll come out with a great RB in Europe.

Jim, cleaning the RBs from the hole is simple with the new cleaning bushing. Here is a demo video of our 3/4"RBs (pay no attention to the concrete specs and all that) :


I just use a smaller bit or an awl, really very easy to get back out.

My name is Chris, i work at Climbtech, full disclosure! Holler if you have questions at all about the RB or anything else we make.
Chris Vinson
Joined Jul 9, 2012
67 points
Nov 27, 2012
Jurassic Park
Mike Lane wrote:
Mr. Spikes: the vertical orientation is far superior to side by side in terms of loading, and he has them equalized too. How long have you been at this?


Neither pic (RBs or chained anchor) has ANY equalization.
If you do not have some degree of freedom to equalize, like when using a magic X, you can not get equalization.
But that's fine. The extension and the swing, if the loaded bolt blew, is minimal. That is the point of using the vertical arrangement.
coldatom
From Cambridge, MA
Joined Sep 20, 2011
74 points
Jul 9, 2014
Mystical Weapons.
agd wrote:
Can you whip on them or are they meant for body weight only?


How is it that nobody is actually addressing this issue? As I see it, it is ClimbTech's responsibility to clearly respond NO. Especially since a person representing the company has commented within this thread.

Yes, I watched the video of the dude taking the fifty footer....onto a 3/4" RB. But why would anyone actually use a 3/4" Rb for fall protection? Only specialty applications, since the vast majority of climbers will be interesting in using an RB no larger than 1/2", thus allowing the same hole to be used later with a standard size bolt.

So if you are drilling holes no bigger than 1/2" (almost everyone....) then these are NOT for fall protection. The 1/2" RB's are only rated to about 500 lbs!
To put out videos of people taking epic falls on an RB, while not offering an RB in a size that makes that application useful is misleading and irresponsible.
Furthermore, nowhere on ClimbTech's page for the 1/2"ers does it say whether or not it is for fall protection. But it DOES have the "fifty foot fall" video right there on the page.....WTF???
Alex Bury
From Ojai, CA
Joined Jun 29, 2012
1,734 points
Jul 9, 2014
Mt. Agassiz
Two years later ;-) Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Joined Dec 29, 2010
782 points
Jul 9, 2014
Mystical Weapons.
Better late than never! Alex Bury
From Ojai, CA
Joined Jun 29, 2012
1,734 points
Jul 10, 2014
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of ...
Alex Bury wrote:
The 1/2" RB's are only rated to about 500 lbs! WTF???

Not true. They are Rated to 2700 lbs. As strong as a cam.
Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Joined Dec 12, 2002
3,757 points
Jul 10, 2014
Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenste...
I've bought a couple of these (not climb tech) from Grainger years ago. I do remember those things were expensive!.. like $165. They had a bunch of different kinds if anyone's looking for these.

The anchors kinda reminded me of slider nuts. They were easy to install and to take out the hole.
Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Joined Jul 21, 2012
143 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!