New Petzl Ice Tools!!!!!!

By Phoenix
From louisville, colorado
Feb 16, 2010
hiking 8-5-09 (Don't chase the rabbit!!!)
New from Petzl...
New from Petzl...

Discuss....

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Feb 16, 2010
Bucky
Hold up, I thought that I heard they were going to make a Nomic with a hammer? Where is the Nomic with a hammer?!?!?!?

By Phoenix
From louisville, colorado
Feb 16, 2010
hiking 8-5-09 (Don't chase the rabbit!!!)

Sorry, didn't think to put up others.. Looks as if they are going to a modular hammer.

By Mike Larson
From Los Angeles, CA
Feb 16, 2010
Weeping Wall Central Pillar
A hammer at last!

By Will Butler
From Boulder, CO
Feb 16, 2010
ice park
When will these be out?!

By sunder
From Alsip, Il
Feb 16, 2010
ICE PIT 2011
I just found my XMas gift for next year. New pair of 2010 Nomics!

By jmalefyt
From Denver, CO
Profile Photo
Something else I now 'NEED' to have.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Mike Larson wrote:
A hammer at last!

You call that a hammer? Why don't they call it a 'nut head' as it works so well that way. I think the days of a real pounding hammer head are gone from the mixed route tools of today. ( am I the last person to use fat Snargs yet?)

By Brian in SLC
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
J. Albers wrote:
Where is the Nomic with a hammer?!?!?!?

Hammer is built into the pick, so, easy to retro any Nomic to a hammer model. Just buy a new pick...

By Brian in SLC
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
yeah these ultra curved handles make for strange hammering swings. I think that little hammer head is there just for retro' decoration, like a hood ornament on a 60's car.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send
good thing I didn't rush out and buy the new fusions - I can just get a pair of ergos at twice the price - whew dodged a close one there...

To respond to the Veterans' hammer comments - Yes the geometry of modern tools makes using the hammer, even on a viper/cobra a pain...I have hammered in spectres and probably could have saved the energy and placed a screw...Do any of y'all have a North Wall Hammer that you wanna part with?

By Mike Larson
From Los Angeles, CA
Weeping Wall Central Pillar
Woodchuck ATC wrote:
yeah these ultra curved handles make for strange hammering swings.

Very true. But at least this hammer is located correctly with respect to the head of the tool. Look where the 'hammer' on the new fusions is and then you'll have a proper definition for an utterly useless hammer.

While the new tools may not make for the best hammering swings, I'd still take them in a heartbeat over old tools in the alpine. After spending a month in the alps last summer with my old grivel alp wings (because they do have a hammer and adze) rather than my nomics, it only reinforced how much I prefer my Nomics in any medium that contains ice and mixed. I'll gladly deal with a less than ideal hammer and adze if it means I get the performance of the Nomic in the alpine.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Bucky
Brian in SLC wrote:

ahhh sweet, I guess my partner that owns the old Nomics won't be so bummed after all. Does that mean that they didn't actually change the Nomic, they just created a new pick with a hammer that fits in the old Nomic housing?

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Bucky
Brian in SLC wrote:
Not just snargs, but, beatin' in a pin, setting a bolt, whackin' a stopper in a shallow groove, etc. The bend in the shafts on most modern tools makes hammering with the back end of the top of the head pretty non-ergo. Really awkward. The tools have got very directional as far as striking them is concerned. Maybe folks will carry a short third tool that is a hammer too, partly to function as a hammer.

I don't know about not using the hammer on the Nomic. I have heard from a bunch of Daks climbers (much recent all natural pro mixed stuff) that they were yelling at Petzl to come out with a hammer for the Nomic because they were all beating the shit out of their hammerless Nomics when pounding pins. So it would seem that at least some folks are pounding a fair amount of iron with Nomics, hammer or not.

By kevino
Tits McGee wrote:

So Tits, the new ergos are $540 per tool?

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send
kevino wrote:
So Tits, the new ergos are $540 per tool?

Obviously I was grossly exaggerating the fact that everythign PAYTZL makes is more expensive than BD - We could then launch into the debate of the strength of the Euro vs the Dollar and so on and so forth, but it isn't really necessary when I was only being sarcastic in the first place.

By JoshOrin
From Telluride, CO
Top of the Grand
I think the biggest thing petzl missed out on with these new leashless tools is a spike with a clip in point at the bottom of the handle. At least they put a clip in point on the new quark. The GRIPREST is better than nothing but a full on spike would be much better for alpine climbs. And a clip in point would be nice for using a spinner leash. Instead I have to tie a piece of chord through the hole in the handle as shown in this pic.
clip in point
clip in point

By Jason Killgore
From boulder, co
Feb 17, 2010
I believe there is a secret hole for umbilicals on the new nomic.

By J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Me too!
Those new Quarks look nice! Too bad I quit climbing.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Being geometrically challenged, I have no idea what I'm looking at in this photo...but I'm sure it works cool in some way.
it's that thing shown above that I have no idea what it is showing me.
it's that thing shown above that I have no idea what it is showing me.

By bigwallrog
From the farside
Feb 18, 2010
While They all look very cool I have one question

Is petzl going to continue to support the old style Quarks ? ie picks?

Or are we going to see the same old crap they pulled with the Axars,Quasars and Pulsars.... worthless replacement picks that suck

They are still nice looking tools

By kevino
Feb 19, 2010
Woodchuck,

What Doug was trying to show in the picture is if you don't want a hammer/adze on your tool at that time there is a spacer piece that takes up where the hammer would connect so there are no gaps inside of the head. However take out that piece and the hammer will fit in.

By Bruno Schull
Feb 20, 2010
Hi Folks,

I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like perhaps the pinky rests on the new quarks would work with the old quarks...this would give my old quarks the one feature I wish they had, which is the ability to easily clip a carabiner into the spike, and use a pinky rest. I know you can accomplish this with a short piece of cord, but I would appreciate more elegant and secure solution.

So do you think you can put the new pinky rests on the old quarks? The grips and spike look relatively similar....