Climbing the Matterhorn via the Italian Ridge (Liongrat)

By Thrillseekerz
From Landstuhl, DE
Sep 5, 2012
Gear testing the Monkee Clothing Women's Ubwuzu Climbing pants  <br /> <br />Read More: <a href='http://thrillseekersanonymous.com/2013/06/24/monkee-ubwuzu-womens-climbing-pants/' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >thrillseekersanonymous.com/2013/06/24/monkee-ubwuzu-womens-c>>></a>

Hey all,

Just came back from climbing the Matterhorn via Liongrat from the Italian side. I put together a rather thorough trip report with pictures.

Hope you enjoy.

Climbing the Matterhorn via Liongrat

Cheers,
ilana

By minielle
From Holladay, Utah
Sep 5, 2012
minielle

Enjoyed reading your report. Beautiful pics. Thank you.

By Thrillseekerz
From Landstuhl, DE
Sep 5, 2012

Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to reply!

Cheers,
ilana

By Terry Parker
From Fort Collins, CO
Sep 5, 2012

Nice trip report and re-affirmed my belief that I have a lifetime of climbing in my backyard and no need to venture to strange lands where you can't understand the speakers at the airport.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Sep 5, 2012
Sure, I can belay

Terry Parker wrote:

The Alps are super fun. My wife and I climbed the Italian arete and traversed the Matterhorn, descending the Hornli (Swiss side.) Maybe 15 years ago. A great adventure. I found that a few well placed, 'accidentally' dislodged stones eased the scrimmage for the fixed lines substantially. I also enjoyed trudging down through the ski area on the Swiss side, skiiers slaloming around us. This was before snowboarding took off, so nobody ran us over. :-)

Thanks for the nice pics.

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Sep 5, 2012

Hey Illana,

1) Are the raps fixed or did you bring your own rope?

2)If so, how long of a rope?

By Thrillseekerz
From Landstuhl, DE
Sep 6, 2012

Christian,

The raps are NOT fixed. Even though there are a plethora of fixed lines, climbing the Matterhorn still requires you to employ those handy mountaineering techniques (mountaineer's coil), roped travel, etc.

The fixed lines are more to facilitate ascents by the guided parties. There are anchors wherever rapping was a desirable descent option. We used an 8mm 60m rope. Any of these should do.

Cheers,