Climbing superstitions and rituals.

Mar 25, 2013
Me
There are many of those among competitive athletes....Does anybody know/have one? Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 25, 2013
Myself placing a a blue/yellow offset MC to protec...
i always seem to have to drop the kids off at the pool right before the first lead of the day rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Joined Dec 20, 2009
253 points
Mar 25, 2013
Me
Yea yea yea....i always climb better with my chalk ball. I use it as a stress ball while chalking up. I wasnt talking about shit and weed. But here on MP thats all they got.....oh and boobs! Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 25, 2013
And trolls... NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Joined Oct 6, 2011
116 points
Mar 25, 2013
Me again!
Marla J wrote:

Lest we forget the tarded troll who constantly changes her name while trying to learn how to write in English, that part we got as well, thanks.
J Q
Joined Mar 11, 2012
58 points
Mar 25, 2013
Me
You know who I am so whats the big deal about the name. At least im the most honest and straight forward person here. The names are just fantasy the thing you all know nothing about due to lack of imagination Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
It's bad luck to be superstitious. Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Joined Dec 10, 2010
112 points
Mar 26, 2013
i have a tennis ball that i found on my way to solo aid a loose, sketchy crack at my home crag. i sharpied a smiley face on one side, and a terrified face on the other. "willy the wall ball" stays clipped on my harness now via a prusik sling lobotomized through his forehead. before i head up a climb, i look down at willy, turn him around so he's smiling at me, and ask if i'm on belay. big wall willy gives me strength and courage, and if need be, a way to bail off a route. Ben Philbrick
From lucerne, switzerland
Joined Jan 5, 2012
28 points
Mar 26, 2013
Stairway to Heaven (pitch 3)
"big wall willy gives me strength and courage, and if need be, a way to bail off a route."

Wait, you would bail off a tennis ball-chockstone shoved in a crack? That is seriously hardcore. :)
Josh
From Golden, CO
Joined Jan 26, 2006
592 points
Mar 26, 2013
that's why "sally the sport climbing ping pong ball" is no longer with us! Ben Philbrick
From lucerne, switzerland
Joined Jan 5, 2012
28 points
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
Ben Philbrick wrote:

I would love to see a pic of this in the 'bad anchors' thread!
Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Joined Dec 10, 2010
112 points
Marla J wrote:

If you were "honest and straight forward" wouldn't your name be Eleanor?
Superclimber
Joined Mar 7, 2009
1,486 points
Mar 26, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!
Not so much a superstition as an entrenched ritual, but I always make sure that, when I am getting ready for a climb, my shoes are the very LAST thing that I put on. camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Joined Jun 27, 2006
1,369 points
Me again!
Marla J wrote:

Chris Miller wrote:
If you were "honest and straight forward" wouldn't your name be Eleanor?

J Q
Joined Mar 11, 2012
58 points
I always, ALWAYS put my under britches on before I shit myself. Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Joined Sep 29, 2011
14 points
Me
Get the hell off my thread! Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Me
camhead wrote:

Hehe I do that too:)
Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Me
J Q wrote:
I can assure you that when concerning your on-line persona, the only big deal is how the chuff-lets and nobbers respond. I think it's fun. As for you being a straight forward person, you first have to be in touch with reality, which you are not, making you the comic sideshow that is MP. I would say that you are about as straightforward as Charles Barkley; you are entertaining but no one else can understand what you are talking about so the only person who you matter to is you. But seriously, I love your nonsense and the way it makes peoples heads explode, carry on. No, it would be stinky-hippy or smellanore. I believe these predated her all so famous Ellenor handle.

Hell yea I matter to me a lot! Whats wrong with that?
Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Marla J wrote:
Get the hell off my thread!

Hey skank, you're the one that asked! I also like to smack my belayer in the ass right before I cast off. Hopefully before they shat themselves.
Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Joined Sep 29, 2011
14 points
dream canyon fun!
woooooh "skank" that's harsh shit? ok my ritual is to smoke a blender rack up walk in a circle look up , chalk my hands , tie in with chalky hand's, smoke the rest of my cig , brush off my shoes , cheek not, cheek my delayer, that's it.. Devin Fin
From DURANGO
Joined Jan 14, 2010
3,261 points
Me
Manwhores! Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 27, 2013
on the way to the area we climb in me and whoever is in my party for the day always give a wave to some religious statute in the front yard of a church that is waving towards all passersby.

less superstitious but more of a ritual is the driver for the day telling the other where the keys are stashed in the pack "just in case"
Josh Brown
Joined Apr 8, 2008
26 points

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!