Climbing superstitions and rituals.

By Liberty
Mar 25, 2013
Me

There are many of those among competitive athletes....Does anybody know/have one?

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Mar 25, 2013

i always seem to have to drop the kids off at the pool right before the first lead of the day

By Liberty
Mar 25, 2013
Me

Yea yea yea....i always climb better with my chalk ball. I use it as a stress ball while chalking up. I wasnt talking about shit and weed. But here on MP thats all they got.....oh and boobs!

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 25, 2013

And trolls...

By J Q
Mar 25, 2013
Me again!

Marla J wrote:

Lest we forget the tarded troll who constantly changes her name while trying to learn how to write in English, that part we got as well, thanks.

By Liberty
Mar 25, 2013
Me

You know who I am so whats the big deal about the name. At least im the most honest and straight forward person here. The names are just fantasy the thing you all know nothing about due to lack of imagination

By Brian Hudson
From Greenville, SC
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

By Ben Philbrick
From lucerne, switzerland
Mar 26, 2013

i have a tennis ball that i found on my way to solo aid a loose, sketchy crack at my home crag. i sharpied a smiley face on one side, and a terrified face on the other. "willy the wall ball" stays clipped on my harness now via a prusik sling lobotomized through his forehead. before i head up a climb, i look down at willy, turn him around so he's smiling at me, and ask if i'm on belay. big wall willy gives me strength and courage, and if need be, a way to bail off a route.

By Josh
From Golden, CO
Mar 26, 2013
Stairway to Heaven (pitch 3)

"big wall willy gives me strength and courage, and if need be, a way to bail off a route."

Wait, you would bail off a tennis ball-chockstone shoved in a crack? That is seriously hardcore. :)

By Ben Philbrick
From lucerne, switzerland
Mar 26, 2013

that's why "sally the sport climbing ping pong ball" is no longer with us!

By Brian Hudson
From Greenville, SC
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG

Ben Philbrick wrote:

I would love to see a pic of this in the 'bad anchors' thread!

By Superclimber

Marla J wrote:

If you were "honest and straight forward" wouldn't your name be Eleanor?

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Mar 26, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

Not so much a superstition as an entrenched ritual, but I always make sure that, when I am getting ready for a climb, my shoes are the very LAST thing that I put on.

By J Q
Me again!

Marla J wrote:

Chris Miller wrote:
If you were "honest and straight forward" wouldn't your name be Eleanor?

By Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Mar 26, 2013

I always, ALWAYS put my under britches on before I shit myself.

By Liberty
Me

Get the hell off my thread!

By Liberty
Me

camhead wrote:

Hehe I do that too:)

By Liberty
Me

J Q wrote:
I can assure you that when concerning your on-line persona, the only big deal is how the chuff-lets and nobbers respond. I think it's fun. As for you being a straight forward person, you first have to be in touch with reality, which you are not, making you the comic sideshow that is MP. I would say that you are about as straightforward as Charles Barkley; you are entertaining but no one else can understand what you are talking about so the only person who you matter to is you. But seriously, I love your nonsense and the way it makes peoples heads explode, carry on. No, it would be stinky-hippy or smellanore. I believe these predated her all so famous Ellenor handle.

Hell yea I matter to me a lot! Whats wrong with that?

By Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail

Marla J wrote:
Get the hell off my thread!

Hey skank, you're the one that asked! I also like to smack my belayer in the ass right before I cast off. Hopefully before they shat themselves.

By Devin Fin
From DURANGO
dream canyon fun!

woooooh "skank" that's harsh shit? ok my ritual is to smoke a blender rack up walk in a circle look up , chalk my hands , tie in with chalky hand's, smoke the rest of my cig , brush off my shoes , cheek not, cheek my delayer, that's it..

By Liberty
Me

Manwhores!

By Josh Brown
Mar 27, 2013

on the way to the area we climb in me and whoever is in my party for the day always give a wave to some religious statute in the front yard of a church that is waving towards all passersby.

less superstitious but more of a ritual is the driver for the day telling the other where the keys are stashed in the pack "just in case"