Climbing shops near Joe's Valley?

By Daniel Kuzio
From Plainfield, VT
Jul 11, 2013

Hey everyone, I'm planning a trip to Joe's valley and was wondering if anyone could recommend a climbing shop nearby. Also, does anyone know if they would rent crash pads? I'm from the east coast and trying to figure out how to get one out there.

Thanks!

By Paul Hassett
From Aurora CO
Jul 11, 2013

Joes in essentially in BFE - bring whatever you need to survive (food, water, booze, etc). The nearest cities with climbing shops would realistically be either Salt Lake City or Denver/Boulder/Golden areas. There are some smaller shops in Glenwood Springs, but you might want to call around, as I am not sure anyone actually rents crashpads.

By cdec
From SLC and Moab, ut
Jul 11, 2013

Moab would be the closest shop to Joe's coming from the East. No one is going to rent a pad that I can think of.
You're going to get a taste of the old west there. Cows, Coal and Well Heads.

By Dan White
From Western CO
Jul 11, 2013

If you're driving there west on I-70, there is Summit Canyon Mountaineering in Grand Junction. It's still about 3 hours from Joe's Valley. There is also Pagan Mountaineering in Moab but depending on where you're coming from it's probably going to be pretty far out of the way. They both sell crash pads, but I'm not sure about rentals.

By darrell hodges
Jul 11, 2013

In the other direction, there are climbing shops in Provo (e.g. Mountainworks), a lot closer than SLC.

By JonathanC
From CO
Jul 11, 2013

Passing through Orangeville last month, I noticed the grocery store Food Ranch (foodranchinc.com/index.html) was marketing pretty heavily to climbers.

If I'm remembering it correctly, they had a sign about pad rentals. While it's certainly no hardcore climbing shop, it's worth giving them a call to see if they'll rent you a pad or two.

By Halley13
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jul 14, 2013
Crown Prince Abdullah .12d

Food Ranch does sell the guide book and rent Crash Pads and sell delicious donuts... I hope you're not planning to head to Joes anytime real soon though, it's far too hot right now.

By Dan White
From Western CO
Jul 14, 2013

I was also wondering about the time of year of the visit. I got roasted pretty bad at New Joe's in April, but thought maybe you could chase shade in other areas or on specific problems.

By Matt Selman
From Spring City, Utah
Jul 16, 2013

If you continue driving up Straight Canyon and around Joe's Valley Reservoir, UT-29 takes you over the Wasatch Plateau to Ephraim--home of Jason Stevens' Pipe Dream Adventure Sports. The drive takes about 1-1.5 hours on good dirt roads.
pipedreamadventuresports.com/

By Dan White
From Western CO
Jul 22, 2013

Matt Selman wrote:

That is a really good suggestion. I just did that drive and it's amazing. It's also a good way to get from Joe's Valley to Maple Canyon.

By Kelly P
Jul 22, 2013

In regards to time of year...we got baked in April AND got a snowstorm and 20 degree temps with A LOT of wind. And we were only there for 4 days...I think fall is the best..October/November. It can get REALLY cold at the camping in the canyon and really windy, so bring warm sleeping bags..

By Daniel Kuzio
From Plainfield, VT
Jul 22, 2013

Thanks for the help, everyone!