Climbing road trips: beating the fuzz

By kirkadirka
From Boulder
turkey rocks

Sometimes I like to drive fast. So I have come to the conclusion after recently getting pulled over at 1am on a remote strecht of road in Utah (frequented by clibmers, apparently targeted by local sherrif), that it is probably in my best interest to invest in a radar detector.

I'm heading out on a big road trip from Boulder in a few weeks and so I need to make a decision relatively soon.

Not looking to spend crazy money on a top-end radar, just looking to purchase something that will last a few years and will at least be able to give me a heads up on the fuzz. I understand some fuzz have high tech laser scanners and these are difficult to detect until you are already toast.

Anyways, what do you use or what would you reccommend?

By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
May 30, 2012
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.

I have the Valentine 1 and have had it for nearly 10 years now. Well worth the extra $$. You still have to drive smartly since instant-on radar and laser can easily get you if you are not paying attention. However most rural areas don't have the money for the high-end radar guns and are usually easy to spot. Also I really like the valentine as it has the directional arrows which is huge in understanding if the cop is behind you catching up, or in front of you.

You will learn to pay better attention to the road because of it.

www.valentine1.com/

Also as a FYI CDOT uses radar along certain spots on I-70 and I-25 to track speeds, once you drive through an area a few times you will get use to the different beeps that may happen.

Lastly the price of a high-end radar detector is almost always cheaper then the insurance premiums you will be paying after a speeding ticket.

By BurtMachlan

Andy Librande wrote:

I guess I shouldnt point out that not speeding in the first place is WAY cheaper than having to buy a several hundred dollar radar detector?

Plus by driving the speed limit you are less likely to kill on innocent person! I am sure you have a very important meeting or boulder problem to get to though....

By slim
May 30, 2012
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

actually, i am much more likely to kill somebody while driving the speed limit, as it makes me very, very, very, very sleepy...

By randy88fj62
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

I used to drive fast too. Once you get so many speeding tickets that they threaten to take your license away, them you'll think twice about speeding.

Slow down if you ca force yourself, save the gas, and watch for wildlife in rural areas, especially around dusk and dawn.

By kirkadirka
From Boulder
turkey rocks

Any other USEFUL advice that answers my original post?

I will continue to drive fast on long, straight, generally empty stretches of highway such as US 50 in Utah/Nevada and I80 in sections of Wyoming. Save your don't speed lectures for someone who cares.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
May 30, 2012

Hahhahahh If you don't speed, you get rear-ended. If you do speed, you take it in the rear.

Radar detectors are not a bad idea. But I can't tell you that there is one that will stop you from getting an instant-on type of equipment ticket, particularly a laser.
Maybe modern jammers/responders work against those now - they get the signal and more or less instantaneously respond with a signal stronger than the readback of the signal that bounces off of your car. In principle this overwhelms the radar/laser.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
May 30, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit. Turn off the radar detector. Your anxiety over the po po will go way down, you'll enjoy the drive more, and you'll still get there about the same time.

The only way to beat the Fuzz, the Man, is to be happy, man. Just be happy, man.

By BurtMachlan

JLP wrote:
You can save even more money over your lifetime by avoiding women, alcohol and fatty foods too.

Yeah dumbass, its called moderation. All those things(as well as speeding) are fine in moderation.

The speed limit in Utah is usually 70-80mph on highways, you can be driving 80mph in most of Utah and not get hassled. Driving 90-110mph is just putting my life at risk as well as your own. You eating a hamburger and then sleeping with your overweight wife is not the same thing...

By wendy weiss
May 30, 2012

Watch yourself on 40 up in the empty quarter (Utah state line to around Craig, Hayden).

By Vaughne
May 30, 2012

I use the Escort Passport 8500 X50. It has been very useful and effective and I would recommend it to anyone. There are several of these on craigslist right now in the Denver/Boulder area for under $150. They also make the 9500 which has some GPS capabilities. I would not recommend cheaping out on a radar detector since the cheaper ones do not work.
No matter what you get, you should learn to use it and how to determine a false alarm vs the real thing. (Hint, if you pick up Ka its probably a cop, otherwise its probably not.) Good luck.

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Aesthetics

It may help in Nevada but mind you, the police do NOT need a reason to pull you over round these parts. I've been pulled over a number of times for bogus reasons. They just want to check you out.

And of course all you green platers are smoking the weed..... Good luck to ya.

By TheBirdman
From Eldorado Springs, Colorado
May 30, 2012

I had a buddy who used to dress like a Jehovah (and force anyone in his car to do so as well) while going on climbing trips. He swore it got him out of countless traffic tickets and potential arrests because cops (especially in Utah) don't suspect Jehovah's of packing any narcotics and therefore, are quick to let you be on your way without a search and/or hassle. Of course, all that being said, it probably did get him one ticket; straight to hell that is.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
May 30, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

MIYG wrote:
They just want to check you out.

When you're a drivin'
You strut your stuff
And you're so strung out
We just might
Put on our lights
Just to check you out.

-Fuzz

Hey, I don't know the correct spelling, but in Czech you call the police the chloopottie, which means "the fuzz." You can also call them the cherty which means "the devils."

By kirkadirka
From Boulder
turkey rocks

Haha, I guess people are always going to impose their views on you wether you want to hear it or not, especially on MP.

So, 2 reccomendations so far. I looked at the Passport 8500 at Best Buy the other night. I hadn't considered craigslist, that is a good idea.

I'm aware of the instant-on and laser technologies and the difficulties they pose. Most of the speeding I am planning on doing is in rural areas that I really do believe a radar detector could give me at least a chance. If it keeps bubba from giving me a ticket, all the better. He can look all he wants for weed but I got nothing to hide there.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

BEL 940/965 or similar in that series. Nearly the same detection distance as the $300+ models and I bought mine for $120 years ago. Pays for itself quickly on the 395.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
May 30, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

kirkadirka wrote:

You learn as fast as you drive, brah.

By Loren Tragen
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 30, 2012
Nameless boulder on the edge of the Holy Boulders area in SoIll.

Cobra brand for around $60 from Walmart. It's already saved me $100's in tickets. Picks up 5 different types of devices cops use, including laser and a rear-facing strobe detector. Has city/highway modes and intellimute. A note about radar detectors: they pick up on cellphone towers and some fluorescent lights, so if it goes off in some frequencies ("X-band" I think), it might not actually be a cop.