climbing near the valley

By mac gilbert
May 8, 2013

Hi everyone,

So i am going to Yosemite soon and have been looking at the weather forecast. Should we be concerned when it lists 5-7% chance of rain? Also, if it is raining in the valley, what options are there for climbing outside elsewhere that is close?

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
May 8, 2013

A 5-7% chance of rain is nothing to worry about. I wouldn't change my plans with that low of a percentage.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
May 8, 2013
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

That is like a 95 to 93% forcast for SUN...

Bail, and go hit ToullHouse

By Brian Biancardi
From Oakland
May 8, 2013
Gotham Wall Owens

My rule of thumb:
-10% good to go
-20% check every hour but still plan on your climb
-30% it's gonna rain and I have a fear of lightning

By vincent L.
From Redwood City
May 8, 2013
First day of school

Tollhouse is the perfect place to go in a few weeks if you want to get sunburned , dehydrated , and possibly bit by a rattlesnake.

I'd pack it up and go to the Needles.

By randy88fj62
May 8, 2013
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

Aren't the needles and shuteye ridge for that matter apart of the same weather pattern in the western sierra? I would assume the entire range would get similar rain during a system coming through.

Some other areas to consider:
Lover's Leap (Tahoe area)
Kern River (small crags here, maybe not the quality you're looking for.)
LA Area has a lot.

By kevin deweese
From walnut creek, ca
May 9, 2013
don't throw rocks

Grotto, goldwall and Jailhouse are nearby.

By aaron hope
From Walnut Creek, CA
May 9, 2013
Staying Warm on South Face of Washington Column

Brian Biancardi wrote:
My rule of thumb: -10% good to go -20% check every hour but still plan on your climb -30% it's gonna rain and I have a fear of lightning

Agree. I'll add that if the rain is thunderstorm related, then I'll go even if its 30-50% because the rain is usually short and predictable. Most thunderstorms come in the afternoon and are out by the evening, leaving a full morning/early afternoon of climbing and dry nights. Also, its even less likely that the thunderstorms penetrate past El Cap (the mouth of the Valley may stay dry).

Lightening isn't really an issue in the Valley like it is in the Meadows (cause you're not usually topping out on things)