Climbing near Fort Lee, VA

By Frank Martineau
Dec 30, 2012
Hey so I'm going to be stationed in fort lee for the next 9 months and I'm looking to do some climbing in the area but I have absolutely no clue what's worth my time traveling to or anything so if you have anything that's just fun and under a v7 boulder for me that would be fantastic

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Dec 30, 2012
El Chorro
There are some bridge buttresses in Richmond that are bolted.

Moore's Wall NC is 3 hours
Seneca WV is 3.5
New River Gorge is 4
Grayson Highlands are 5 hours

By mission
Dec 30, 2012
There is some pretty good bouldering on the Blue Ridge Parkway about 2 hours from Richmond. Find beta at blueridgebouldering.com.

The answer to almost all VA route climbing questions is that you should just go to the New River Gorge in WV.

By Kilroywashere!
From Harrisonburg, Virginia
Dec 30, 2012
Kilroy
theres some bouldering near charlottesvile va at st marys, the parkway, wintergreen, a pretty good gym in richmond, and the manchester wall. most people i know from richmond/cville area all go to the new on weekends, or seneca if your flavor of choice is multi pitch trad.

By Cultivating Mass
Dec 31, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Old Rag, Iron Gate, Hidden Valley, Linville, The New, if you're an MVP distance driver, the Red. Pick up Horst's guide and flip around, that'll answer most of your questions. The above mentioned places are a lot better than some spots you'll get dragged to like Great Falls, Franklin, and so on. Really just go to Old Rag and then start exploring other spots when you get bored of the splitters.

By OldManRiver
From Cottonwood Heights, UT
Dec 31, 2012
Red Rock, Cannibal crag
Stony Man cliffs are a short hike relative to Old Rag if I recall correctly, less than 500 verts

By Wannabe
Dec 31, 2012
Little Stony Man is a shorter hike but you definitely "get what you pay for" in my opinion. LSM is a bit on the chossy side imho and not nearly as interesting to climb at as Old Rag. Its not like the hike in at OR isn't scenic. Killis is right about Great Falls. A ton of TR possibilities with some nice routes but I wouldn't drive all they way from Fort Lee for it.

By J Walpole
Jan 2, 2013
The only spots in Richmond are:
Manchester Wall, mgreeby.home.mindspring.com/Cl...

Belles Isle (not really that great).

Peak Experience (awesome climbing gym).

The others mentioned are quite a bit further to drive, but probably a lot more worth it ;)