Climbing near Boulder in late Dec. Will it be WI?

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Nov 18, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

Hi, my name is Davis. I'm a climber in Chattanooga, TN. I will be visiting Denver/Boulder area between Dec 27 and Jan 2 and wanted to get on some Colorado style climbs while I will be out there. I'm probably just bringing a harness, but have a friend with a trad rack and ice gear. Where would be good places to get some climbing in? I'm not trying to get on something like a 10 pitch 5.7 at the flatirons. Thanks!

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Nov 18, 2012
OMG, I winz!!!

If you get lucky you could be climbing multipitch in the sun or it could be snowing...

By David Rivers
Nov 19, 2012
East Beach bouldering

Rincon and West Ridge in Eldo, south facing crags in Boulder Canyon, and Clear Creek, Table Mountain. Lots of winter cragging options in and around Boulder.

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Nov 19, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

I'm specifically interested in technical sport in the 10 and 11 range, add well as short trad lines

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Nov 19, 2012
Me, of course

ChillFancy wrote:

There is no way anyone can truly answer your question. It will be 70 degrees here this week, and has been in Jan and Feb in previous years, but could also be literally -20 on the same date. Shelf Road is a standard winter spot when it's a little warmer and sunny, but it is a bit of a drive from Boulder. The Golden Cliffs (table mountain) in Golden will be climbable if it is above 40 degrees and sunny.

Addendum: If there is no wind there are many spots in the South St. Vrain Canyon that are quite sunny.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Nov 19, 2012
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.

You should hope and pray that conditions allow climbing on the first flatiron. I promise you that it's unforgettable. In the SE, a 5.6 is choss-tacular, out here it can be something so much more, an experience where history and scenic views meld together imto a sublime experience. The 1st Flatiron is the king line of the Front Range, the aesthetics alone make it worth the trip, out west, the romance of climbing isn't really about how hard you can pull down, it's about the whole experience, something very different from TN where bullet hard sandstone is rarely taller than 100ft. So many of the greatest climbers in the country have cut their teeth in the Flatirons, and still head back time and time again for an after work free solo simply because the climbing is wonderful and the formation is RIGHT THERE, it's in your face and it begs to be climbed.

Disclaimer, this isn't a troll, I'm the "friend with a trad rack and ice gear"

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Nov 21, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

But if it's -20 I don't want to get on anything too far from ground. haha

By NickinCO
From colorado
Nov 21, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

If it's cold I think your best bet is table. I've climbed there in low 30's in a t-shirt and sweated.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Nov 26, 2012

ChillFancy wrote:
But if it's -20 I don't want to get on anything too far from ground. haha

it was 70 yesterday

By ErikaNW
Nov 27, 2012
Rapping off the Matron October, 2010

willeslinger wrote:
it was 70 yesterday

And 33 with light drizzle today.... you just never know!

By Kelly P
Nov 27, 2012

Andddd 60 and sunny tomorrow :)

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Nov 27, 2012
El Chorro

willeslinger wrote:
In the SE, a 5.6 is choss-tacular

:-/

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Nov 27, 2012
Stabby

We are in the same shitty weather pattern as last year: drought and way warmer than normal. So your odds of having good weather are pretty high. Biggest threat will be winds.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Nov 28, 2012

Ryan Williams wrote:
:-/

I just don't think that Chattanooga climbing uses the lower end of the grade scale like certain other areas (The Gunks, South Platte, Lumpy's Ridge, etc). To be fair, N Carolina has that older school scale. But the climbing in Chatt really starts at 5.7/5.8.

By Jon Lachelt
From Fort Collins, CO
Nov 28, 2012

ChillFancy wrote:

If the weather is nice I highly recommend, Brown Palace mountainproject.com/v/the-brown-palace/106504214. 6 nicely bolted pitches (1@5.9, 3@5.10, and 2@5.11a), W-SW facing. It's the longest pure sport route in CO.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Nov 30, 2012
El Chorro

willeslinger wrote:

Fair enough. I agree.

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Dec 11, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

Will, I definitely agree about Chatt climbing starting at 5.7. There are a few 5.6 lines around (Leda, Foster, Obed) but those are really for training new leaders. How are the conditions looking in CO? Estes Park looks pretty sweet!

By flynn
Dec 11, 2012

Estes Park itself will be quiet and relatively unpopulated this time of year, though it'll pick up some while you're here. Lumpy Ridge is absolutely spectacular, but super dodgy in terms of weather. It can be totally climbable on a sunny 50-degree day, since many things face south. But the descents off the back sides can be ass-deep snow (assuming it might have snowed up there before you arrive). There are some rappel descents, of course. And the number of true sport routes up there is somewhere between slim and none; best bring your friend with trad rack.

Definitely consider the First Flatiron. It's a honey.

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Dec 12, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

Yea, Will was going to go with me to the first Flatiron but he will be climbing in Chattanooga while I'm in Boulder. I'm definitely looking for anyone psyched and interested in climbing with a temporary partner for a day trip. I have no ice experience, but am a confident climber.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Dec 15, 2012

ChillFancy wrote:

Davis is good people, I'd bet he'll buy a couple rounds if you rope up with him. Besides, you get the added benefit of introducing a newb to the CO microbrew scene... always a fun experience

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Dec 29, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

Yes, I'm good people. :b Anyone know what the conditions are looking like in Eldo and Boulder Canyons? Boulder was cold today, Breckenridge was reeeaaallly cold. Maybe the temp will break freezing tomorrow to melt the Flat Irons. I think I'll ride over to The Dome and Elephant Buttrices tomorrow.

By Paul-B
Dec 29, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

ChillFancy wrote:

I do not, I was considering driving up and checking out the Castle Rock ice, see if anything has formed up, I am skeptical. If it is, I would be happy to climb with you.

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Dec 29, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

Yea, that could be interesting. I'm really surprised at how easy the access is to Boulder Canyon. Paul, I sent you a msg with my number so we can check logistics.

By ChillFancy
From Chattanooga, TN
Dec 31, 2012
Chilling on a hammock anchored with nuts made from tied rope.

Nick V and I ended up running some low 5th class climbs at The Boulderado. The snow made for an interesting lead, since the blood would drain from our hands leaving us standing trying to recover for several min on every climb. I want to thanks Nick for being such a trooper and letting me get some climbing in while I'm in CO.