climbing Little Switzerland area

By justin harr
From moorcroft, wyoming
Mar 14, 2014

I'm wanting to do some rock climbing in the Alaska Range this summer and was looking for some beta from someone who has climbed there. I've looked through the route areas on this website but wondered if anyone had any other advise. Thanks for any info

By Jay Hack
From Royal Oak, MI
Mar 24, 2014

Hi Justin,
My friend Aidan and I spent a week there in 2010 I beleive. on the fist day we went up the Marsupial on the Throne for 12 pitches of 5.8 fun with some snow and corniceing on top. Very moderate, near camp fun. Royal Tower looked amazing but a storm hit us the second day and pretty much took the rest of the trip out for the next 6 days. Have fun if you go! we Flew with TAT...they were great to us.

By justin harr
From moorcroft, wyoming
Mar 24, 2014

Yeah were for sure going so all this beta is great. The Marsupial is for sure on the list but hope we have better weather. What month did you go? Of course "the Range" has its own weather but I'm 3 hours north of Talkeetna and weve had a very mild winter. Were going in the first week of June so well see. Can you tell me how was the glacier (crevasses)?

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Mar 24, 2014
Mt. Churchill, University Range

The Talkeetna ranger station has a topo and route info book/binder.

The glaciers are mellow by AK standards. The main thing is to watch how the temperatures affect the crevasse bridges. Skis are nice.

By Jay Hack
From Royal Oak, MI
Mar 25, 2014

Agreed, the glaciers around those formations are fairly mellow, although you still have to look out for the occasional warmed crevasse bridge/nasty moat. We went in from July 1-10, 2010 (just looked at my journal notes).

By justin harr
From moorcroft, wyoming
Apr 28, 2014

Thanks for the beta looking forward to a good trip and great weather. Thanks again for everyones input