Climbing in or near Grenada?

By Chris Robichaud
Aug 4, 2011

Sorry if this is posted somewhere but I couldn't find anything, a friend is moving to Grenada, looking for any known climbing areas on the island and Google is not being very helpful

Thanks,
Chris

By Jae Kim
Aug 31, 2011

Hey there:

I've just moved to Grenada, and I'm looking into this very question. There's a bit of hiking here, but I'm not yet certain about climbing or bouldering. At first glance, I'm not optimistic, as Google Earth photos show mostly pretty heavy vegetation on the mountains here.

I will post anything I find. Thanks!

Jae

By Chris Robichaud
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks Jae, my friend has been there for almost a month now so I'll have to find out if she has stumbled upon anything yet. From the pictures I've seen it looks like it won't take much convincing for me to get down there =)

By Jae Kim
Aug 31, 2011

Right, thanks for that! My shoes and harness have been sitting unused for a while now. -jae

By Sarah Alex
Nov 5, 2012

Hello Chris, Jae,
I am going to be in Grenada starting Saturday, November 17th for ten days with my family. Everyone else wants to pay to be a tourist, but I would much rather climb some rock - even deep water soloing? If you could help me out with any information about where I might find something, and, especially, where on the island I can meet people who would be along the same brainwaves, that would be awesome!
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks,
Sarah

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 5, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Go south to andalucia, the climbing around Seville is awesome.

By Jae Kim
Nov 5, 2012

Hi Sarah

First, best of luck in finding climbing buddies where you're going. I've actually left the area.

And to clarify, I was in GrEnada, a tiny island in the Caribbean region. It seems at least one person is talking GrAnada, in Spain. There is a massive amount of climbing in much of Spain, and you shouldn't have trouble finding something. As for deep-water soloing, I would definitely go with a local who is well-acquainted with the area. Have fun!! -jae

By Sarah Alex
Nov 5, 2012

Jae,
Thanks for the response. I am, too, speaking of the island in the Caribbean. Do you have any suggestions even for a bar or shop that would help me get started on finding the local adventure crowd?

By Jae Kim
Nov 5, 2012

Hi Sarah - I'm afraid I couldn't really say. You could probably progress toward what you're looking for in St. George's, which is one of the larger tourist areas. Best of luck! --jae