climbing gym near Lewiston, Maine

By Simon Canaval
Feb 23, 2014

Hey guys,

I'm a student from Austria and i'll spend about a year in Lewiston, Maine, starting in sep2014. As i like to climb 3x a week i was wondering if there is a gym nearby where i can pursue my training..

Also i am a big fan of trad-climbing (which i started in Scotland) - how is Maine for trad? (or generally for climbing)..

greets
Simon

By Ben Dubs
Feb 23, 2014
Elephant man

Haven't lived in Maine for awhile but I know there's a gym in Portland. Also Bowdoin has a gym, not sure if non-students can use it though.

As for outdoors look into:

Shell pond
Shagg
Acadia

I'm sure there are locals on here that can give you way better info but that should give you a start!

By Simon Canaval
Feb 24, 2014

thx!

By jim.dangle
Feb 24, 2014

For a gym, Portland is probably your best bet (~35-40 Min away from Lewiston). I think the gym there is/was being upgraded.

If you like trad, the New England mecca of North Conway (in the White Mountains) is a little over an hour or so away. It's not in Maine but in neighboring state of New Hampshire. In fact from Lewiston, the climbing in New Hampshire is closer than the much of the climbing in Maine (Acadia, Clifton, Baxter).

It will help to have a car in these parts.

Check out Cathedral ledge and Whitehorse Ledge on the New Hampshire section of mountainproject.com for starters.

Good luck!

Jim

By freezeus
From Pittsfield, VT
Mar 4, 2014

If in Lewiston I'm assuming you're going to Bates. They have a small gym at the college, there is abundant bouldering in the area and the fantastic New Hampshire trad destinations are not too far way. Have fun! Pic of the Bates bouldering wall:
www.bates.edu/news/2013/03/15/climbing-chester-chiao-13/

Also, there is a new gym currently being built in Portland which should open this summer.

By mbakerwh
From Gallup, NM
Mar 4, 2014

Get in touch with the folks in the Bates Outing Club--They have several trad climbers and some sport folks as well. I graduated last year and am now in New Mexico or I'd offer to climb with ya....

There's a 12 foot tall, about 20 foot wide bouldering wall in the gym at Bates. It's a good spot for training. You won't be able to get out 3x a week easily, though it's possible, particularly during short term.

The best place for trad close by is over in the White Mountains. There are true alpine routes over there as well as good trad cragging. Get a white mountain guide book, it's indispensable. There's a place called IME in North Conway, NH, that has good info and folks. It's about a 2 hour drive to most crags in the White Mountains, but farther (as mentioned) to get places in Maine.

By mbakerwh
From Gallup, NM
Mar 4, 2014

Congrats on Bates by the way!

By Simon Canaval
Mar 4, 2014

hey,

yeah - ur right - i'll be teaching German at Bates as a Fulbright Language Teaching Assistant - thx for the advice with the bouldering wall - i'll def. check that out

also thanks for the advice for outdoors, already looking forward :-)

By mbakerwh
From Gallup, NM
Mar 4, 2014

Very cool. Just as a heads up on the wall, its not strictly managed, but loosely so by the outing club. Generally, climbers who use it set problems as they wish. its a cool spot.

By MC Poopypants
Mar 4, 2014
Dropping a deuce

Shout out Blue Goose! Not just any bar, a real hole in the wall.

By AG31
Mar 11, 2014

MC Poopypants wrote:
Shout out Blue Goose! Not just any bar, a real hole in the wall.