Climbing and Skiing around Island Park, West Yellowstone

By builttospill
Aug 12, 2014
There's a decent chance I'll be living in the Island Park area (Henry's Lake, between Island Park and West Yellowstone) for about a year, starting in a few months. This area--as far as I know--isn't known for anything but snowmobiling and great fly fishing. I plan to do some fishing, but I'm curious about climbing potential from anyone who has been in the area.

Any decent trad climbs?

It's cold enough for ice. Anyone know anyone who has ever climbed Mesa Falls or anything around there?

What about skiing? The southern Gallatin Range must have stuff.

Basically I'm looking for things to keep me occupied, in shape, and motivated while I'm there. Any suggestions on guidebooks, people to contact, or anything else would be really helpful.

By builttospill
Aug 12, 2014
I guess I should note that skiing seems the "easy" part in terms of beta. But I'd still be happy to get the perspective of someone who's been there and done some of it.

By lynne wolfe
Aug 12, 2014
Rock up there is pretty bad. All kinds of volcanic choss. Not too far from Gallatin Canyon though. Mtn biking in the Henry's Lake Range/ Lionhead is epic, best ever.

By Ryan and Jesse Morse-Brady
Aug 13, 2014
Leila
Hebgen Lake has great backcountry skiing with good access and Sawtelle peak has always looked apealing. Think about a snow bike the groomed trail situation is pretty decent. Teton Canyon has some ice flows and is not that far.

By builttospill
Aug 14, 2014
I always heard Sawtelle was closed in winter, but I never did much serious looking. So from what I gather there is:

Ice:
Teton Canyon - 90 minutes
Hyalite - 2 hours

I have my sights set on some local ice, but we'll see if it pans out.

Rock:
Gallatin Canyon - 75-90 minutes

Not much else, but hopefully I'll be able to get over to Jackson a few times

Skiing:
Tons, too much to list, need to read more

This is surprisingly good. I didn't realize Gallatin and Hyalite were so close. Pretty sure I won't be able to afford a snowbike, sadly.

By lynne wolfe
Aug 14, 2014
There is also quite good granite cragging in Teton Canyon, both north and south sides, at the end of the summer access road. Some adventure choss in the limestone towers above Reunion Flats. Volcanic bouldering at Badger Creek.