Climbing and Diving, surfing, beach bumming

By Evan C
Jul 3, 2012

Had an awesome trip to Thailand years ago and want to climb on a tropical beach again with my family. I'm sure the Mediterranean would be awesome but might not fit my dirt bag budget. What else should i consider?

By Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
Jul 3, 2012
The Shield

You peaked... someplace had to be the best.

By Evan C
Jul 3, 2012

how can you be so sure it's the best??? Where else have you been that's worth considering? Think cheap travel too, anything in Mexico

By Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
Jul 3, 2012
The Shield

I'm sure because I spent 23 years searching for second place.

By s.price
From PS,CO
Jul 3, 2012
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Sam Lightner, Jr. wrote:
Other options are Mallorca, Kalymnos, Costa Del Sol of Spain, Finale Italy, and perhaps that new area in Turkey, though I'm not sure how many miles that is from the beach. The only thing where you walk everywhere is Kalymnos, and then its limited in what you get with walking. I'm sure because I spent 23 years searching for second place.

Have got to agree with Sam. If you find something better please post it up.

By Todd-D
From Portland, OR
Jul 3, 2012
Me hangin by Red Wall

I just spent 4 months in Mexico and found for beach bummin it you can't beat the Oaxacan coast. Try Puerto Escondido or mazunte. Near Oaxaca City, 6 hour van ride from the coast there are several good sport crags. If you're in Oaxaca check out the climbing gym/ hostel Muro Mondragon. The owner Carlos will hook you up with the beta.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Jul 4, 2012
rockerwaves

"I'm with you fellers!" Del Mar

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Jul 4, 2012
rockerwaves

I used to go to San Carlos Son. It has been one of those type places cheep close with a variety of fun free activities. I am sure it has changed a lot but I'll bet it still has it's charm

My camp on the beach <br />Photo: Olaf Mitchell
My camp on the beach
Photo: Olaf Mitchell

Olaf Mitchell bouldering down the beach from camp. <br />Photo: Mat
Olaf Mitchell bouldering down the beach from camp.
Photo: Mat

a wealth of moderate mountain bike trails and paths <br />Photo: Olaf Mitchell
a wealth of moderate mountain bike trails and paths
Photo: Olaf Mitchell

beach bummin' <br />Photo: Jill Phillips
beach bummin'
Photo: Jill Phillips

By Paul Hunnicutt
From Boulder, CO
Jul 4, 2012
Half Dome

try Rio de Janiero. a bit rough around the edges for a family trip, but certainly beach and climbing.

By Evan C
Jul 7, 2012

what about the carribean, cuba, puerto rico or indonesia someplace?