Climber Dies on the Lemmon 10/02/13

From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Oct 2, 2013
tanuki
supertopo.com/climbers-forum/2...

tucsonnewsnow.com/story/235938...

kgun9.com/news/local/Crews-fin...

"MOUNT LEMMON, Ariz. (KGUN9-TV) - Search and rescue crews recovered a man's body on Mount Lemmon Wednesday.

Rural/Metro Fire Marshall Willie Treatch tells KGUN9 that the body was found near milepost 15 on Mount Lemmon Highway.

Treatch says the body was dangling from a boulder. Deputy Tracy Suitt with PCSD says another climber initially found the man and called 911just before 1 p.m. Cell service was spotty so it took some time before he could contact authorities.

Suitt says the man's body was difficult to access, and crews believe they recovered him within an hour of his death.

Suitt says the man is an avid climber and well known in the community. They have not released a name as next of kin has not been notified.

No word yet on what caused the death."

My condolences to friends and family of the deceased.

By Derek Anderson
From Tucson,AZ
Oct 2, 2013
me outside my friends, nothin special :P
R.I.P. this man will always have a spot in my heart. ..

By Brigette
From Seattle, WA
Oct 2, 2013
At the anchors.
The article has been updated, with the climber identified as David Webster. What a shame. I'm so sorry that he had to die alone. Rest in peace, Dave.

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 2, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"
This is such sad news. Condolences to Dave's friends and family. Rest in peace.

By Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 2, 2013
Toofast
This is very sad. Dave was a very nice man. Sincere condolences to his family and friends!

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Oct 3, 2013
Aw man :-(

My condolences. Only talked him once or twice, glad I got to learn about some of his badass FAs on a thread here.

It will be sad not seeing him and the white CRV anymore :-(

By Caverdude
Oct 3, 2013
Very sorry to hear about Dave. He was a really good guy with a crazy fun streak. At least he died doing what he loved. He will be missed, especially at the annual PLP. Climb on Dave...

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Oct 3, 2013
My condolences to his family and friends. Sad to hear of this happening.

By Scott M. McNamara
From Tucson, Arizona
Oct 3, 2013
One Way Sunset
In his day, Dave could climb!

By Joe Kreidel
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 3, 2013
Terrible news. I only met Dave once, but saw him or his car on Mt. Lemmon on probably half my trips up there. It was cool seeing him up there so much, knowing he was still doing the things he loved to do. I always wanted a chance to talk to him a little more and get to know him, unfortunately I never was more proactive about it. My condolences to his family and friends.

By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
Oct 3, 2013
Awesomeness!
Sad. Like everyone else, I only talked to him a couple of times and should have reached out more. It was always comforting in a way seeing the white CRV. We just talked to him a few days ago, such a nice guy.

He was a great motivator to just get out there.

By Paul Davidson
Oct 3, 2013
Condolences to family and friends.
Sad day...

By Wayno
Oct 4, 2013
Dave was a good friend and climbing partner. One of the best. We did the Tangerine Trip together in Feb. of '82. Full-on Winter conditions. It was our first El Cap route! I plan on starting a thread about him on Supertopo in a couple days. I still need to wrap my head around this one.

Wayno from the Taco.

By kristiew
Oct 5, 2013
Thank you everyone for your compassion and kind words about my husband, Dave Webster. Reading your posts have helped make a difficult time easier for me and my son.

By JMayhew
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 11, 2013
My buddy and I gave this long-haired, sun-baked hitchhiker with a ratty ol’ pack and fuzzy rope a ride up Mt. Lemmon one day… and I spent the next 28 years chasin’ him through the mountains. Davey would reel me in with excited promises of unclimbed rock walls then proceed to teach me the fine Art of Suffering, and the even finer Art of Appreciating the Adventure. We shared countless summits, many of them in the rain and/or dark and/or cold.

It really sucked when he finally had to limit himself to roadside approaches. You couldn’t tell by talking to him though. Endlessly enthusiastic, a day or so before his death Davey was telling me about his new “project” with those same wild eyes and dramatic descriptions of the problems he would have to solve. I, like so many others, will truly miss his inspiration and friendship.

Another thanks to all who have offered condolences. What an amazing extended family we all have.

Rest in Peace, My Friend!

(copied to ST)

2008
2008

By Mike Beck
Nov 12, 2013
Wow. Pretty hard to get my mind around. Dave, kristie , hans lippuner and I (Mike Beck) have been friends since maybe the hayday of the late 70s + 80s. We made movies of Cathedral Spire in yos. And joshua tree. Always excited to climb and be in the "place". His laugh was hysterical and sometimes made us laugh more. Kristie, thanks for being the best mate he could have had. You stuck with him pre kid and took him so very far, and I really thank you for that. He was definitely the type of partner and friend that made my mountaineering adventures so enjoyable, rewarding, and usually successful. His bride always supportive. We both shared the "accuracy in reporting" of our adventures, though we could argue ratings. But if you thought it was easier than he did, it would probably be your lead! I was just in Tuolumne in September and climbed Tenaya peak with Hans. A route suggested by Dave so many years ago finally completed... But we're getting older, Hans used a cane for the approach! But the route was as awesome as promised! Dave you made good again! He turned us on to several areas some took me many years to fit into my schedule but the info and topos and photos were always good. Some roads were closed however! Great guy, great friend, awesome partner for everything we ever did together. Hans doesn't do electronic mail, but we spoke and he thought the only good thing was he was pursuing his passion. Hans sends his condolences and agreed that we really enjoyed his friendship, enthusiasm, and all the adventures we had together. More Monkey than Funky comes to mind, everyone went for their pilots license except Hans wearing his funky tennis shoes! We really love you Dave. Mike Beck, Hans Lippuner