Climber assists person who fell, then gets a citation from Forest Service
   Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Apr 4, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Way to go Forest Service! Next time get all of the f'ing information correct. That might guide your pencil pushing.

wsoctv.com/news/news/state-reg...

Hats off to the unidentified climber that helped the guy that fell. He rappelled down to him, built an anchor for him on the tiny ledge, and stayed with him over two hours and called in the rescue. He also guided the helicopter to the victim. But he couldn't just leave the area when instructed to, so he did as best as he could and moved up slope.

An interview with the climber that fell:

los.com/shared/news/features/t...

By John Greer Jr.
From modesto, ca
Apr 4, 2014
so ridiculous. those rescue crews should be glad he was there and it wasn't just a body recovery. horribly precedent to set for us when we want to help a fallen comrade.

By Mark Ra
From Mid-Atlantic/CO
MBC
The last sentence from the video when the news station asked EMS if they had used the climber's equipment:

"a spokesman said they used his rope, but not for rappelling, which means he could have left at any time."

What?

Would anyone actually leave an injured person before help arrived? EMS told him on the phone to just leave before they got there?

By Cody Ison
From Richmond, KY
Apr 4, 2014
Is anyone aware of what line they were on?

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
All I can come up with is that things are handled a lot differently around the Rockies. I've relied on climbers several times.
Certainly not going to tell a bystander to jump out of the way in that situation.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Apr 4, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
The rescue crews were glad I think, but the whole show was being run by jerks that didn't know what the real situation was and they in turn directed the forest service person to issue a citation. Hopefully it will all be cleared up BEFORE it goes to court or what have you and an apology given. A little public awareness of this incident might help that along.

By Brendan Magee
Apr 4, 2014
As a Catch 22, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a citation for not assisting the climber.

By John Greer Jr.
From modesto, ca
Apr 4, 2014
ha ha. So true. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

By Jonathan Dull
From Boone, NC
Edge of a Dream
Mr. Jackson DePew (the injured climber) posted his first hand account in the Western Carolina Climbers Association Group. Mr. DePew stated the following:

"Hey y'all.

So the civilian who arrived to rescue me was in contact via cell phone with "search and rescue" throughout the whole process. He even asked for the person in charge as to be sure there was no confusion when going about his business aiding me in the evac.

The paramedics had to use our gear because they rappelled in on a rope that was to short to reach me - not to mention they began rappelling 50ft to the right of me which would have led them to.. Not me.

That being said without the help of both parties, I would not be face-booking you these details right now. I can tell you the civilian climber was nothing but cooperative and helpful though - and I do not think he should be fined. Without his help the rescue would have taken hours longer. But without search and rescue and that black hawk, that civilian climber couldn't have rescued me on his own - or maybe he could but it wouldn't have been smooth and efficient."

The climber was injured when a hold broke and he was a bit runout from his last pro, resulting in a ledge fall.

Also as a side note, the Officer who issued the citation was murdered along with his K9 a few days later serving in the line of duty. Not everything works out perfectly. At least the injured climber is expected to make a full recovery.

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Meme guy
This happened a few weeks ago, anyone heard any updates? Last I heard the person cited refused to leave because he simply couldn't. The cited climber had used his own gear to secure the injured to the wall and in doing so the cited climber may have used some stuff he would have needed to get down. Rescue personnel says he got in the way, but video from the helicopter shows he had climbed up to another ledge WAY out of the rescue operation's way.

I wasn't there that day so I don't know exactly what happened, just what has been communicated to me. Seems to me like rescue folks got all hissy pissy because THEYRE the law and no one else can do anything without their permission.

If it goes to trial I'd be happy to donate some scrilla dolla billas to his defense.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jonathan Dull wrote:

Is this true? How do you know this?

By Jonathan Dull
From Boone, NC
Edge of a Dream
Because I'm from North Carolina and all this has already been discussed in detail; the incident took place about a month ago. There was also a climbing fatality at Crowders Mountain the same weekend. It was a tough weekend in the North Carolina climbing/outdoor community.

wbtw.com/story/24968980/forest...

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Meme guy
Jonathan Dull wrote:
Because I'm from North Carolina and all this has already been discussed in extreme detail; the incident took place about a month ago. There was also a climbing fatality at Crowders Mountain the same weekend. It was a tough weekend in the North Carolina climbing/outdoor community. wbtw.com/story/24968980/forest...

Dang, I don't know how I didn't see the forest agent/k9 story. Serves as a good reminder that while we may not agree with everything they do, they're willing to put their life on the line for people they have never met.

By Jonathan Dull
From Boone, NC
Edge of a Dream
I think the main concern had to do with the rotor wash from the Blackhawk and the possibility of him become a patient as well or possibly dislodging rocks that could fall onto the rescue operation or Blackhawk.

The FS request for him to vacate was obviously not reasonable at all, and I don't agree with the fine nor the request for him to vacate. Obviously you have a larger chance of dislodging something while ascending 200' of rope, as opposed to sitting still.

A lot of the details are fuzzy and we probably won't know the details for awhile. I doubt any lawsuit will surface.

A full report of the accident and rescue will be detailed in Accidents in North American Mountaineering.

By Jonathan Dull
From Boone, NC
Edge of a Dream
Meme Guy wrote:

True that brother.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Apr 4, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
"Also as a side note, the Officer who issued the citation was murdered along with his K9 a few days later serving in the line of duty. Not everything works out perfectly."

Jesus, that's brutal. He was just doing what he was told issuing the citation I'm sure. It's up to some other official to drop the charges against the good samaritan climber.

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Stich wrote:
He was just doing what he was told issuing the citation I'm sure.

That is absolutely not an excuse. Many of the SS said the same thing while slaughtering millions. People need to think for themselves. Using "I am just doing my job" as an excuse to do something wrong or unethical is beyond low.

By michael voth
2nd pitch of Womb.
wow, comparing a FS officer to the SS? really?

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
glad everyone is ok. The citation should be dropped.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
wonder what the instruction was to get out of the way:

"Sir? Yes, you! We need you to swan dive right now!"

By Robots and Dinosaurs
Apr 4, 2014

I understand your comparison but that is way too extreme, comparing a citation to a gas chamber...
The officer may have been overly strict and should not have given a fine but not many first responders are bad people.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man
20 kN wrote:
That is absolutely not an excuse. Many of the SS said the same thing while slaughtering millions. People need to think for themselves. Using "I am just doing my job" as an excuse to do something wrong or ethical is beyond low. Best of luck to the climber, and many thanks to his rescuer. We need more people like him.

michael voth wrote:
wow, comparing a FS officer to the SS? really?

Really, I bet the citation writer was a big fat scared pusswad who was shitting himself and couldnt do anything but try and be a tough guy to cover his fear of heights. Scared power trippers are all over, usually with the badges they flock towards.

Yes, similar to the SS

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man
Michael G. wrote:

how many first responders have issued tickets to climbers trying to help on the side of a cliff in history? Nobody is attacking first responders, just the one moron.

By chuffnugget
From Bolder, CO
I blame Obamacare

By Eric Engberg
20 kN wrote:

Lt. Calley

By Eliot Augusto
From Boulder, CO
Apr 5, 2014
20 kN wrote:

As for the whole "he was just following orders" being cast in a negative light, I think that is a faulty line of thought. In every position that I have held that revolved around security and safety, there was usually an oath of loyalty to something. To the people you enforce rules on, to your superiors, to a code or something similar. There are often orders I didn't agree with, but I had to trust the people above me were doing the best thing in their experience. And if I ever disagreed with them, I voiced my opinions and they usually had a counter. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

Point being, the ranger wasn't remotely close to any sort of Nazi thought process. Mass book burning, the superior race rallies, and the oppression of millions has exceptionally little to do a citation that shouldn't have been given. He obviously believed in his chain of command and the ideals of the position enough to lay down his life in the line of duty, and issue a citation he probably didn't agree with. Drawing an analogy from the Nazi party to the Forest Service is heinous at best. Who are you trying to be...Glenn Beck?

I hope the climber recovers quickly, and the assisting climber gets what is coming to him. A pat on the back, free cold beer for a year, and sexual favors.

Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>