City of Rocks weather in August?

By wfscot
From Boulder, CO
Jun 29, 2014
Considering a trip to the City in early August. What's the weather going to be like around that time?

Thanks!

By Charlie S
From Ogden, UT
Jun 29, 2014
Cams above the arm bar moves on Three Pigs in a Slot, Indian Creek.
Just about perfect. Might have to chase the shade, but that's not hard to do. Later, though, is better.

By Name
Jun 29, 2014
Can be hot. September is much better if possible.

By wfscot
From Boulder, CO
Jun 29, 2014
Thanks! We can make it work in early Sept, too, so I think we'll play it that way.

By Adam Paashaus
From Greensboro, North Carolina
Jun 29, 2014
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to the summit for sunset. Its only a 10 minute walk from the main wall. Don't forget your headlamp.
We were there last August. We chased the shade and it was fine. The formations all have east and west sides so hit up the west sides in the morning and east sided in the afternoon. Also, the City is less crowded during the week at that time so we climbed quite a few classics with no waiting. Camping is exposed so get a shaded campsite. The "walk in" sites behind King on the Throne both have shade and you can climb a pitch or two in the evening after dinner... or in our case after the kids have gone to bed. Fun, short,stout routes all the way around. I'm sure Sept is better weather but if Sept doesn't work out its not a dissaster.

By Ian Cavanaugh
Jul 5, 2014
expect temps to be in the 80s-90s. not sure what you are looking to get on but for me, even the shade is way too hot. september can be the same way. I've always avoided the months of june-late sept as much as i can. there is just as good of climbing around, but much higher and always stays cooler. if your set, you can make it work, but i would chose a different location that would be more enjoyable.