Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
City of Rocks in Early September

By Dave Schultz
From Everett, Washington
Apr 20, 2012
Trap Dike

Hi Everyone,

I will be driving through the area in early September and was hoping to get some climbing in. I can lead 5.8 in the Daks and Gunks and was hoping to find someone who would be willing to climb with me for one day to show me around, my wife will be with me, and she only likes to climb single pitch. We will be around for two or three days, so if you need a partner for those days, we will be around. Looks like Sept 2nd, 2rd, and 4th.

Thanks,

Dave

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Apr 20, 2012

Most of the climbs at the City are single pitch. In fact many are really 1/2 pitch. So you and your wife should have plenty of fun without needed a partner. That said some are more than 30m so be very careful if doing a sling shot belay more than one person had been dropped with fatal results.

Also that weekend is Labor Day so there will be lots of people around. Most are friendly enough to let others jump on their rope and visa-versa.

By kovacs69
From Dallas, TX
Apr 20, 2012

COR on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends is a madhouse! It is still worth the effort though as long as you are not trying to find a camping spot.

Two of my Favorites:

Too Much Fun
Take 18 draws.

Delay of Game

Like Allen said...pay attention to route length compared to rope length. Many people have been hurt/killed by that mistake.

And if you want to practice your multi-pitch try out Theater of Shadows. It is a long uphill hike for a very easy, over-bolted 5.7 (more like a 5.5). The hardest part about it is the hike to the route. That rap is the most fun. Take a bunch of draws and skip bolts.

Check out my pano pic from 1/2 up Steinfell's Dome from last year.
Pano Pic

By optikal
From SLC, UT
Apr 21, 2012
Me on top of Grandeur Peak

I don't mean to hijack but I figure it's better to ask then go on not knowing...

Allen: What do you mean, some are more then 30 meters so be very careful if doing a sling shot belay? Are you saying be careful to make sure you have enough rope to lower the climber back down?

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Apr 21, 2012

Yes, exactly. Some of the routes are 35M so if doing a sling shot belay with a 60m rope whoever is being lowered is going to be short of the ground by 10m. And as noted, multiple deaths have occurred at the City because of this mistake. The last being someone dropping their spouse who died. It can be prevented by tying a knot in the end of the rope.

By optikal
From SLC, UT
Apr 21, 2012
Me on top of Grandeur Peak

Allen Sanderson wrote:

Great, thanks :) Seems like common sense, and why I started with a 70m, but kudos for pointing it out. Guess ya shouldn't ever assume anything when your (or others) life is on the line. As I like to say to beginners... ABDC - always be double checking, no matter your role.

By Sam T.
From Denver, CO
Apr 21, 2012

Dave,

If you happen to be in the area around the 27th-30th of September the Idaho Mountain Fest will be going on then and would be awesome to check out. More info here: www.idahomountainfest.com/

All the best!