Chipping the whole crag, ho hum...

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Mar 4, 2013
modern man

everyone jumps all over Ivan for chipping a hold underneath a tiny pebble in the woods that nobody has been to or even knows where its at

R&I runs an article practically glamorizing the folks in Riggins Idaho for chipping and drilling a complete crag and nobody says a thing until now.

crazy world

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Mar 4, 2013

Lets ask Dead Point Magazine to release the Idaho chippers phone number and address so we can stalk him like Ivan! They could post a chipper of the month and the Ethics Police can go harass them. Fun!

By David Barbour
From Longmont, CO
Mar 4, 2013

David Sahalie wrote:

DPM did not release his phone number. It was a comment someone posted on their article and they deleted it.

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Mar 4, 2013

dbclt wrote:

Re-read what I wrote. I never said they did.

But why not? It isn't like Chippers have souls!

By David Barbour
From Longmont, CO
Mar 4, 2013

You clearly implied it.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
Mar 5, 2013
modern man

I guess an entire crag is less important than a pebble.

I can see the the new tech tip of the month----> "how to create natural looking holds on blank rock"

By Morgan Patterson
Mar 5, 2013
Stoked...

TRmasta wrote:
I guess an entire crag is less important than a pebble. Maybe Rock and Ice will do an article on Ivans chipped boulder ascent next month. I can the the new tech tip of the month----> "how to create natural looking holds on blank rock"

Hahaha... so u wanna chip somewhere in CT this weekend I might be around...

By Ryan Palo
From Bend, oregon
Mar 5, 2013
Me

Here are some other areas with blatant chipped holds:
-Rifle
-Smith
-Mt Charleston
-Red Rocks
-Maple

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Mar 5, 2013

Ryan Palo wrote:
I think everyone would be just as upset if someone released a video of someone drilling holes at Riggons. As for the whole crag, no, it's the whole, just 3 routes through the steepest part of the wall (completely devoid of holds). And people were upset about this YEARS ago and have just forgotten about it. Here are some other areas with blatant chipped holds: -Rifle -Smith -Mt Charleston -Red Rocks -Maple I think the real reason that people are so upset about Ivan is that they just didnt like him and now they have justification for this feeling.

Blam! And DPM is the hitman.... quality reporting/witch hunting!

By Gunkiemike
Mar 5, 2013

Ryan Palo wrote:

You don't think the fact that he is the author of the bouldering guidebook has a little something to do with it? Suggesting that it's all because people just don't like Ivan strikes me as defending him.

Rightly or wrongly, we tend to hold our "commuity leaders" to a higher standard. And of course the hypocrisy, vis-a-vis the anti-chipping statements in that guidebook, has already been pointed out.

A bit reminiscent of Jonathan Thesenga (senior editor of Climbing mag) pouring flaming gasoline down the boulders in Josh several years ago.