Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New - School of Rock
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Chicago - indoor climbing destination for 2014
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By andreis
Dec 18, 2013

Hi!

Just wanted to share with you some news about Chicago. It seems like 2014 is going to make Chicago a world class destination for the indoor climbing :)

Just a week ago, Vertical Endevours announced to open their second location in Chicagoland.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.617391524962915.10>>>

And that's after Brooklyn Boulders and First Ascent already made plans to open new gyms in the spring/summer of 2014.
www.climbingbusinessjournal.com/chicago-finally-gets-climbin>>>

But wait, there is more! Currently under construction Magie Daley Plaza, is going to bring some outdoor wall climbing to the downtown Chicago
chicagotonight.wttw.com/2013/07/03/maggie-daley-park

VE new location
VE new location


Magie Daley Plaza concept
Magie Daley Plaza concept


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 18, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

The downtown part must be a joke. Chicago never had the support to keep a decent downtown area climbing gym open, and the current mayor only had BIG BUCKS in his eyes so IF they build some downtown outdoor climbing tower as in diagram you can expect to fill out pages of legal papers and cough over 30 bucks or more for an hour or so of having the privilege to climb on any wall there.(oh, and another 25 or more to park your car anywhere within a mile or so of the loop) New indoor gyms would be nice....now just what far western or northweat rich suburb are these new locations going to be in? They sure won't be on the Metra line of public transportation, that's for sure.


FLAG
By andreis
Dec 18, 2013

Woodchuck ATC wrote:
The downtown part must be a joke. Chicago never had the support to keep a decent downtown area climbing gym open, and the current mayor only had BIG BUCKS in his eyes so IF they build some downtown outdoor climbing tower as in diagram you can expect to fill out pages of legal papers and cough over 30 bucks or more for an hour or so of having the privilege to climb on any wall there.(oh, and another 25 or more to park your car anywhere within a mile or so of the loop) New indoor gyms would be nice....now just what far western or northweat rich suburb are these new locations going to be in? They sure won't be on the Metra line of public transportation, that's for sure.


I can see the downtown wall run into regulations and safety issues, but in general, the loop development of the public park system is the best in the country.

All 3 gyms will be have public transit access:
VE will be at 210 Windy Point Dr, Glendale Heights, IL 60139
BB will be at 100 S Morgan St, Chicago, IL 60607
FA are also promising to be on the L line

So no need to be so negative, no matter what it will be better than no gyms :)


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 18, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I'm not hating the idea of the gyms, I'm just negative Chicago downtown, since it has basically priced itself out of the normal driving commuter with the outrageous parking (IF you can find it and avoid a pricy ticket-towaway-storage fee and fines) It is not visitor friendly the last few years, unless you live on the 'L and Metra trains, which seems to be their goal after all.


FLAG
By Craig T
From Chicago, IL
Dec 18, 2013

I always chuckle when I see the renders of the Maggie Daley bouldering walls. I predict it gets reduced to a carnival TR tower only open 3 months out of the year. As for parking at the others, I have opposite commuting needs from Woodchuck, so I will likely only go to VE to use up my old punch card, and am looking forward to First Ascent being on the L. Brooklyn Boulders gets an immediate strike in my book just for the name.


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 18, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Craig T wrote:
I always chuckle when I see the renders of the Maggie Daley bouldering walls. I predict it gets reduced to a carnival TR tower only open 3 months out of the year. As for parking at the others, I have opposite commuting needs from Woodchuck, so I will likely only go to VE to use up my old punch card, and am looking forward to First Ascent being on the L. Brooklyn Boulders gets an immediate strike in my book just for the name.


Yeah, I see them renting a portable climbing auto belay tower to set up for a couple hours a day on the plaza, at a high entry fee rate for use. So many 'meetup' groups in local area do climbing out at VE, then have half the city members begging for a ride cuz there is no mass transit easily available out to Winfield Rd off the west tollway. It's over an hour commute for me to got there, so I just don't go anymore to VE.


FLAG
By Andy P.
From Wisconsin
Dec 18, 2013
Rainier

I don't mean to hijack the thread but could someone please convince one of these gyms to instead build in Madison? Our gym options here are as limited as can be (1).


FLAG
By Shane Zentner
From Colorado
Dec 18, 2013
The Sun with Pikes Peak in the distance.  <br />South Platte valley, Fall 2010

Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see the details!


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 18, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Andy P. wrote:
I don't mean to hijack the thread but could someone please convince one of these gyms to instead build in Madison? Our gym options here are as limited as can be (1).


I thought Madison had a great gym?,,,and being a much smaller city, not to expect multiple gyms. Doesn't the college/university have their own facility too, in rec center or somewhere, so that the gym isn't overloaded with college kids at every hour?


FLAG
By Andy P.
From Wisconsin
Dec 19, 2013
Rainier

Woodchuck, the gym is far enough away from campus that 90% of students can't make it out there, so there is no risk of college kids ruining it. The college's facility I can guarantee has less square footage than your ice silo! There's not even room for two routes at each grade 5.6-5.12 so it's fun to visit... once a semester.

Madison does not have a great gym. It's not bad, but not good. I think most people who talk about how it is good are either friends with the owners or have some of that root-for-the-home team bias going on, i.e. because my hometown is Portland, I'll always think the Portland Trailblazers are better than they actually are.


FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 19, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Andy P. wrote:
Woodchuck, the gym is far enough away from campus that 90% of students can't make it out there, so there is no risk of college kids ruining it. The college's facility I can guarantee has less square footage than your ice silo! There's not even room for two routes at each grade 5.6-5.12 so it's fun to visit... once a semester. Madison does not have a great gym. It's not bad, but not good. I think most people who talk about how it is good are either friends with the owners or have some of that root-for-the-home team bias going on, i.e. because my hometown is Portland, I'll always think the Portland Trailblazers are better than they actually are.


Gotcha' on that. I admit I've never been there, but know they have a good past and recently helped promote the DEvils Lake Centennial Challenge for 3 years, and the recent kickstarter film about the DLFA that was shown in town at the old Barrymore theater. We had a very high youthful turnout at the film, from gym promotion I was told. Most weren't even born when the DLFA ruled Devils Lake, yet they were a very enthusiastic crowd. Just associated that good feel with the gym , thus figured it's a happy gym that provides alot to the local climbing community.


FLAG
By Karl Schmid
Jan 16, 2014

Yes but WHEN are these gyms coming?? Am I right to assume that we should not believe the "SPRING 2014" listed on the First Ascent gyms website?


FLAG
By Juggler
Jan 16, 2014
Ice at SR

Woodchuck ATC wrote:
Yeah, I see them renting a portable climbing auto belay tower to set up for a couple hours a day on the plaza, at a high entry fee rate for use. So many 'meetup' groups in local area do climbing out at VE, then have half the city members begging for a ride cuz there is no mass transit easily available out to Winfield Rd off the west tollway. It's over an hour commute for me to got there, so I just don't go anymore to VE.


Hey, I have one of those portable walls with auto belay....maybe I can get them to use us... :)


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.