Chalk vs Liquid Chalk?

By fredylee
Aug 17, 2012

Anybody ever tried liquid chalk vs regular chalk? Do you notice any difference in performance? Which one would you prefer after trying chalk and liquid chalk?

Any opinions? Thx.

By Vaughne
Aug 17, 2012

Check this thread

I think its gimmicky although may be good for use after applying sunscreen.

By kiff
Aug 17, 2012

liquid chalk is not an alternative to chalk...its real useful for sustained routes/problems where chalking up is hard.

By slim
Aug 17, 2012
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

i use them both, but i have pretty greasy hands. for a lot of people, liquid chalk dries out their hands too much and leads to skin cracking around the finger tips.

By Chris Vinson
Aug 20, 2012

By Jay Knower
From Campton, NH
Aug 20, 2012
Technosurfing, Rumney. Photo by Seth Hamel.

Chris Vinson wrote:
i love the stuff. a dab of rubbing alcohol works ok too, but i like that that liquid chalk is pastey. i also like Antihedral for climbing multiple days, be really careful though. that stuff will give you really bad split tips if you dont use it right.

+1000 for the Antihydral.

foosdirect-store.stores.yahoo.net/antihydral.html

By slim
Aug 20, 2012
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

how does antihydral compare to tite-grip? i'll have to check it out.

By Josh.Wood
From New York City
Aug 20, 2012

I often use liquid chalk because I don't like chalking mid-route. IMO, it stays on a lot longer and is easier to cover your entire hand in chalk, but not as good for just chalking your fingertips, which is often the only part of your hand that needs to be chalked anyway. It also doesn't make as many marks on the rock as regular chalk does.

By Woodchuck ATC
Aug 20, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

layer of liq. chalk then cake on the regular stuff, saves re-chalking through a crux move. Lasts pretty long, and sticky to help you on opening smear moves too.

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Aug 20, 2012

Rubbing alcohol + chalk = liquid chalk
I keep a small 2-4 oz nalgene mini bottle of the stuff in my main chalk bucket for bouldering. Perfect for when you're sweating too much and keep sliming off of holds or as a good base layer before you chalk up, as already mentioned. I can only apply it once generally because the subsequent applications dry my skin to the point that it becomes chapped and cracks after I finish climbing. I'd also recommend washing your hands as soon as you're finished climbing to remove any excess drying agents off and then use a good hand moisturizer also...if not you're hands will slowly continue to dry out for another few hours and end up taking a few days to recovery. As pointed out, it really dries your skin out and leads to split tips more times than you'd like for it too. Its good to have around sometimes though, that's for sure.

By Jonathan Williams
From Minneapolis
Apr 12, 2013
Me.

Jay Knower wrote:

Also consider DrySol, which anyone can get from a physician for "sweaty hands." Equally effective as Anti-hydral (which is also prescription in the US, but over-the-counter in Europe). Anti-hydral works by conversion of the active ingredient to formaldehyde, which dehydrates the skin. (People can be allergic to formaldehyde, which is why its not commonly prescribed in the US anymore, though it was more popular in the 70s). DrySol (concentrated Aluminum Chloride) works the same way, and is frequently prescribed to people for sweaty hands or feet. JW

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Apr 12, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

I like chalking up as often as possible. And blowing the chalk from my partially closed fists. It makes me look cool. For that reason, I have not bought into the liquid chalk fad.

Just good old gymnastic chalk bricks for me, thanks.

By Christian "crisco" Burrell
From PG, Utah
Apr 12, 2013
Our less than official sponsor!

Most people I know who have used it (including me) have used the liquid chalk as a base layer and still chalk up.

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Apr 12, 2013

I have never tried the real stuff, but I have made my own.

Find a bag of superfine chalk, mix with a bottle of rubbing alcohol and put in a bottle. I always used the rubbing alcohol bottles but the lids are crappy and will break easily. Just a dime size amount rubbed on my hands then watch as your hands go from wet to white. Works great! Just try to get a thick consistency like around the same as conditioner.

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Apr 12, 2013

Also make sure you rinse your hands afterwards and apply some form of lotion. The stuff next to your computer will work fine.