cell phone coverage at needles

By Johnny Y
From California
May 16, 2014
Dreams of Wild Turkeys

Just wondering what the cell coverage is like at say, the Lower peppermint campground or around that area in general. We are heading there and some friends will try to meet us later.

By SoBrave
May 16, 2014

The whole area is pretty much a dead zone. When I was at the (burned down) lookout on the highest dome last August I could barely get enough service to send a text and I have Verizon.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
May 16, 2014

Generally, there is not cell phone coverage in that area. Given the way the Upper Tule drainage is oriented, you get some odd pockets of coverage, but nothing near the Needles as far as I've experienced.

By Matthew Fienup
From Ventura, CA
May 16, 2014
Photo by Marisa Fienup.

Definitely no cell coverage.

I have spent many dozens of days in the Needles proper and at Dome Rock without ever successfully completing a cell phone call. I have even had trouble completing sat-phone calls. Unfortunately, the nearest working pay phone is down in Camp Nelson, more than 20 minutes away.

By Johnny Y
From California
May 19, 2014
Dreams of Wild Turkeys

Thanks for the confirmation! I am going to fall back to our good ol' pencil and paper at the campground bulletin for communication.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
May 19, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

"" at the campground bulletin for communication.""

I do not think that there is a campground bulletin board.....

By Hand.jammin
May 22, 2014

Definately no cell service anywhere north of kernville and no bulletin at lower peppermint/camp 5, was just up there under recommendation by guy ^^^^. O and guy the trout fishing was great, I caught about 10 rainbows

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
May 22, 2014

Were you fishing at Peppermint? I've heard people say that the scenery is better than the fishing though you can do pretty well if you go right after they stock the river.

By Hand.jammin
May 24, 2014

No I was fishing the kern from the limestone campground about 20 minutes from peppermint. Saw some people fishing peppermint with no luck, it could be good with the right water levels.