|By Tom Hanson |
Jan 20, 2006
Castlewood Ranch Boulders - Directions
Norwegian Wood and Toms Trove
From the intersection of State Hwy 86 and Enderud Blvd in Castle Rock:
Enderud S to Mikelson Blvd.
Mikelson E to Mitchell St.
Mitchell E then N to where it dead ends. Park here.
Follow the dirt road north. The road dissipates to a trail as it approaches the rim, near the corner of the rim above the confluence of Mitchell Gulch and Willow Creek Canyon.
Toms Trove is located at some boulders at the east end of the north rim above the mouth of Mitchell Gulch. The rocks will be found just west of where a faint trail descends into Mitchell Gulch. Please note: There is no rock climbing allowed down in Mitchell Gulch. This is posted at the trailheads off of Enderud Blvd and Mikelson Blvd, to the east.
However, up top, above the rim where this area lies, climbing has not been an issue. Please use discretion when climbing here. Caravan your party into one car to avoid any issues with parking at the end of Mitchell St.
Norwegian Wood is located on the flats above the rim to the west of Toms Trove.
These routes have not been rated because they have only seen ascents by one person, so far. This person is slightly out of touch with the current V-ratings and is waiting for a general consensus prior to publishing them. A rough guess would estimate the difficulties of Toms Trove to be from V0 to V9. Norwegian Wood is a better warm up spot with lines from V0 to V5.
NORWEGIAN WOOD BOULDERS:
The Norwegian (N)
The large rock on the north end of the west side.
1) Norwegian in the Woodpile Ascends just left of the alcove with the tree
2) Isnít it Good? Climbs right of center on the west face
3) Norwegian Wood Center of the west face
4) Lutefisk Left of center on the west side
5) Scandinavian Airlines Climbs the northwest corner to a horn
The Finn (F)
The middle rock on the north side
6) Reindeer Games Right side of middle rock on north side
7) Fauna Sauna Left side of middle rock on north side
The Swede (S)
The large rock on the east side.
8) Bestiga ett Klippa North side of The Swede
9) Klattra Upp Northeast corner
10) Svenskarnas Dag Right side of east face
11) I Donít Mean Kanhanda Center of the east face
12) Svenska Flicka Left of center on the east face
13) Meatballs Left side of the east face
14) Julekake Right side of the south face
15) Krumkake Left side of the south face
The Icelander (I)
The small rock on the right of the south side.
16) Whitefish Climbs the short scoop on the east side
17) Saga Climbs a bulge on left side of south face
The Dane (D)
The small rock on the southwest side
18) Copenhagen South side of rock
19) Skoal West side of rock
20) Raspberry Danish North side of rock