Car/Family Camping Tent Recommendations

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Jun 25, 2012
Indian Creek Climbing

I am looking for opinions on car/family camping tents. 3 to 4 person.

Companies I'm looking at:
Marmot, Big Agnes, Mountain Hardwear, Sierra Designs

Thanks

By Steve M
From MN
Jun 25, 2012

I've got a Marmot Halo 6, it's stupid big but when sitting out a rain storm with two crazy kids the extra size is sure nice. It's got great storage pockets and despite the massive profile is super stable in the wind. I think with all of the brands you've mentioned you're going to end up with quality tents that won't dissapoint!

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jun 25, 2012
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.

For a more affordable tent, check out L.L. Bean tents. We have A 2-year old, and our king pine 4 has served us quite well all over new england. In other words, it's kept us dry!

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jun 25, 2012
OTL

I picked up the 2011 of this www.rei.com/product/829184/rei-kingdom-4-tent-2012 for $160 a few months back during coupon + sale. REI sale starts 6/29. Read reviews, find a deal - pretty easy. Turns out to be a POS - you can always return.

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Jun 25, 2012
Indian Creek Climbing

3.5 year old here. I don't want to go too big as it then becomes difficult to find a good spot big enough
thanks for the advice

By KathyS
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Jun 26, 2012
Me at the summit of Inner Course (5.4) in the Outlets.  Long, lovely, mellow route.  Well protected even.  My favorite lead from the trip.

Also check out tents at Sierra Trading Post. If you find something you like, I think I have a 20% off coupon sitting on my kitchen table. I'll send you the code #.

Kathy

By Morgan Patterson
Jun 26, 2012
Stoked...

KathyS wrote:
Also check out tents at Sierra Trading Post.

STP is GREAT!!! Personally I like Sierra Designs, though my Lookout CD is 15 yr old and going strong 0 issues, I'm not sure about their current products but I suspect they are still just a bomber.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jun 26, 2012
OTL

Some cheap options

STP: keycode FRZ5141S for 35% off over $125.

www.sierratradingpost.com/sierra-designs-meteor-light-shelte>>>

www.sierratradingpost.com/sierra-designs-yahi-4-tent-4-perso>>>

www.sierratradingpost.com/kelty-palisade-4-tent-4-person-3-s>>>

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Jul 5, 2012
Indian Creek Climbing

After some research we ended up with the Marmot Halo 4p. Not too tall, not too big, 3 season, 2 doors, 2 vestibules

marmot.com/products/halo_4p

By dana
Mar 23, 2013

I like to tent camp but like/need to be comfortable. I hate having to crawl in and out of a tent , struggle with tent poles, and not being able to stand up to get dressed. I found the perfect solution. It is called the Standing room 100 tent. I found it on Amazon. It hangs from one of those back yard shade canopies. It is 10x10 and has almost 9' of head room! It also has two doors so you can put two or more together. This tent is big enough for a queen size air mattress, a table, and two chairs with still enough room to walk around.

You can convert a shade canopy into a VERY roomy tent