Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Careful driving toward and away from Vedauwoo/ BS traffic stops
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 3 of 7.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By cieneguita
Aug 5, 2014


everyone should watch and learn this link.

There are a series of others specifically for teen and twentysomethings to watch as well.

FLAG
By goatboy
From Nederland, CO
Aug 5, 2014
Pro tip: If you must indulge, switch to hash oil or just regular hash. It doesn't smell like pot, has a more aromatic smell that officers do not seem to detect.

I got pulled over outside Buffalo WY going 8mph over the limit after just hitting my onesie and the cop didn't even notice the smell. I've run into other cops after smoking hash, close quarters like the gym, at stores, even at a volunteer raffle with dozens of officers and not one gave me any grief.

FLAG
By Scott Phil
From NC
Aug 5, 2014
When I was in my 20s I got pulled by the highway patrol for going only about 5 miles over the limit. The HP asked a lot of leading questions. I answered as best I could hoping that I might still get out of a ticket.

Then out of the blue he said that he noticed that it had taken me awhile to pull over and asked if he could "check my brakes." Still hoping to avoid a ticket I said yes. Once in the car he tapped the brake pedal once and then proceeded to search the car!

The car was clean and I got away with just a warning, but learned a valuable lesson.

FLAG
By Eliot Augusto
From Boulder, CO
Aug 5, 2014
I didn't read the whole thread, so someone may have posted this.

In regards to pretty much everything a cop asks you, you ask in return: Is that a lawful order, or a request?

It puts the cop on high alert though, since that's the kind of question very few people ask. And those that do ask are either know about the law or are breaking it. Most don't want to risk their job and they will usually play by the rules.

My experience with that question comes from open carrying. A cop would come up, ask me to see if the gun was loaded. I would say " is that a lawful order or request" the cop would usually respond "Request first, then an order." That's when you click the snap on the holster, and let them reach for the gun. Same deal in a car, except that you have to let them know when they pull you over that you have a pistol strapped to you.

Don't let them fuck with you. Always ask, and never give them any information you don't have to. E.g. - Where you headed tonight? "That's private information officer." Or you can be more formal and plead the 5th. You should read your states laws fully at least once. You would be very surprised at what you should be doing and what you don't have to do at all.

FLAG
By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Aug 5, 2014
Something of a threadjack, and I apologize for it but its been bugging me...
Maybe I just lived in Laramie for too long and never had to commute to Vedauwoo from Foco, but Hermosa road connects at Tie Siding, right? According to google maps, while its physically shorter, its lower speed limit means that you simply can't go as fast as taking I-80 from Vedauwoo to Cheyenne or Laramie, then taking I-25 or US 287 (respectively) from there.

Not defending the cops, just wondering if they're not just profiling "greenies", but also out-of-state plates on what's ostensibly a backroad that is much slower than either big road its meant to avoid. If I were a cop, my scenario-I-can-twist-into-probable-cause sense would ping pretty loud over that. Don't make it right, and there's better, more valid advice in this thread than "don't take the backroads", just wondering if that contributed to you getting the sherrif's welcoming party.

FLAG
By Mark Derham
From Lakewood, CO
Aug 5, 2014
Eliot Augusto wrote:
Same deal in a car, except that you have to let them know when they pull you over that you have a pistol strapped to you.


Since your profile says you live in Colorado, you do not have to let them know you are carrying if pulled over. You only have to let them know if they ask.

FLAG
By Tom Sherman
From Bristol, RI
Aug 6, 2014
John Sherman
Scott Phil wrote:
When I was in my 20s I got pulled by the highway patrol for going only about 5 miles over the limit. The HP asked a lot of leading questions. I answered as best I could hoping that I might still get out of a ticket. Then out of the blue he said that he noticed that it had taken me awhile to pull over and asked if he could "check my brakes." Still hoping to avoid a ticket I said yes. Once in the car he tapped the brake pedal once and then proceeded to search the car! The car was clean and I got away with just a warning, but learned a valuable lesson.



WOW, that's one of those things that is so ridiculous, you don't want to believe, but at the same time is too farfetched to be made up. I think I would have fallen for that today had I not read that... Sorry that happened to you, a lesson for the future.

FLAG
By Kalil Oldham
From Brooklyn, NY
Aug 6, 2014
At the Harry Daley Base, Yosemite Valley.
Get real y'all: democracynow.org/2014/8/5/new_...

FLAG
 
By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Aug 6, 2014
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "Alan Nelson's Bulging Belly" (5.10, X) on the Lost and Found Flatiron. Belayer is Mark Ruocco. Photo by Bill Wright, 10/06.
goatboy wrote:
Pro tip: If you must indulge, switch to hash oil or just regular hash. It doesn't smell like pot, has a more aromatic smell that officers do not seem to detect. I got pulled over outside Buffalo WY going 8mph over the limit after just hitting my onesie and the cop didn't even notice the smell. I've run into other cops after smoking hash, close quarters like the gym, at stores, even at a volunteer raffle with dozens of officers and not one gave me any grief.

"Pro-tip"?
I guess!
The mind wanders here. Just how often do you have to be stoned, and how often do you have to be getting pulled over to have a significant amount of experience with talking to cops so recently after toking?

Please stop driving like that. As for what you do when walking- I couldn't care less.

FLAG
By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Aug 6, 2014
page 3 before a self righteous Tony B rant

Tune in for how cool he is cuz he has done it all, but not anymore, grew up and such. Oh, and he is drug counselor, so he really knows stuff like Joan knows nursing.

FLAG
By Ian Stewart
Aug 6, 2014
Brian Scoggins wrote:
Maybe I just lived in Laramie for too long and never had to commute to Vedauwoo from Foco, but Hermosa road connects at Tie Siding, right? According to google maps, while its physically shorter, its lower speed limit means that you simply can't go as fast as taking I-80 from Vedauwoo to Cheyenne or Laramie, then taking I-25 or US 287 (respectively) from there.


I don't know what the speed limit is, but taking Hermosa road at a comfortable speed is way faster than Google says it is. They probably calculate the time using 20mph or something. From my house both routes take about the same amount of time but 287 is a much nicer drive. If you live on the north or west sides of town then 287 is probably faster, too. Mind you this is only really the case when Hermosa in in good shape. Once it turns into washboard, I stick to I-75/80 and save my suspension.

FLAG
By Ian Stewart
Aug 6, 2014
David Sahalie wrote:
page 3 before a self righteous Tony B rant


I wouldn't consider a request for people to not drive under the influence of drugs to be a "self righteous rant"...

FLAG
By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Aug 6, 2014
Depends on how high one is. I regularly drive a wee bit high on mostly deserted roads... Like all of wyoming and most of the west.

Completely blazed and border line tripping in traffic, not so good.

FLAG
By javd
From East Brookfield MA
Aug 6, 2014
Eliot Augusto wrote:
My experience with that question comes from open carrying. A cop would come up, ask me to see if the gun was loaded. I would say " is that a lawful order or request" the cop would usually respond "Request first, then an order." That's when you click the snap on the holster, and let them reach for the gun. Same deal in a car, except that you have to let them know when they pull you over that you have a pistol strapped to you. Don't let them fuck with you. Always ask, and never give them any information you don't have to. E.g. - Where you headed tonight? "That's private information officer." Or you can be more formal and plead the 5th. You should read your states laws fully at least once. You would be very surprised at what you should be doing and what you don't have to do at all.


That's sounds like great advice. I think I've seen the first part before in a book titled "how to get shot by the police for dummies".

Second part is a great way to talk yourself into a ticket or worse.

Do you seriously wonder why the cops give you a hard time?
Funny, I have never had any difficulties and I'm polite and respectful, coincident?

FLAG
By Dylan B.
Aug 6, 2014
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
David Sahalie wrote:
Depends on how high one is. I regularly drive a wee bit high on mostly deserted roads... Like all of wyoming and most of the west. Completely blazed and border line tripping in traffic, not so good.


Research seems to indicate that even a small amount of marijuana intoxication has significant effects on a driver's ability to respond quickly to unanticipated events. It also suggests that people driving high significantly underestimate their level of impairment. Which is funny because the my understanding is that conventional wisdom states that high drivers go really slowly because they're overestimating their level of impairment.

Not to say it can't be done safely, but I think subjective assessments are the least reliable method to evaluate.

FLAG
By Cor
Aug 6, 2014
black nasty
Let's get back to the real thread...

The "law" not following the "law"


If any of you have ever been wrongfully harassed with you would probably understand a bit more why people:
Ask request or order.
Don't talk.
Etc...

It only takes one time to not trust them any longer!
And like some said, it happens all the time, all over the USofA.

FLAG
 
By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Aug 6, 2014
Dylan,

What research are you refering to?

alternet.org/drugs/surprising-...

thedailybeast.com/articles/201...

norml.org/library/item/marijua...

mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/...

In my 'subjective' experience, texting is much more dangerous than being slightly high to deal with a 4-6 hour drive. I am a daily smoker though, so my tolerance is quite high. So, my experience jives with the jist of the above articles.

FLAG
By Dylan B.
Aug 6, 2014
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008


A study published in a peer reviewed journal:

bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e536

A media summary:

theatlantic.com/health/archive...

FLAG
By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Aug 6, 2014
Wow, according to those studies, there should be like a crash every other mile on the front range because of weed! Thank god for the Laramie PD.

FLAG
By Dylan B.
Aug 6, 2014
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
Look, I'm not arguing that any degree of intoxication impairs the ability to drive so severely that there needs to be a blanket prohibition. Cearly, some people who are mildly high can drive better than some people who are stone cold sober.

What I'm saying is that people who are high overestimate their ability to drive safely and are not the best judge of whether it is safe to drive or not. Not a controversial claim, and not a proscription for any particular policy. Just a data point.

FLAG
By Russell Holcomb
From Boulder, Colorado
Aug 6, 2014
I'm curious if anyone on here know the penalties for being caught with a small amount of weed in Utah and/or Wyoming. Just simple possession. Not driving stoned. Just possession in the vehicle of a small amount of pot.

FLAG
By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Aug 6, 2014
Fair points Dylan

State laws:
norml.org/states

FLAG
By Morgan Patterson
Administrator
Aug 6, 2014
Stoked...
Russell Holcomb wrote:
I'm curious if anyone on here know the penalties for being caught with a small amount of weed in Utah and/or Wyoming. Just simple possession. Not driving stoned. Just possession in the vehicle of a small amount of pot.


google is your friend...

FLAG
By JP Rohde
From seattle, washington
Aug 6, 2014
uintas
In Utah its a misdemeanor if under an OZ I believe. If you are in a small town they'll fine you upwards of 1000$, in SLC the fines are usually only several hundred. Know because a piece of shit cop in Kanab pulled one over on me...

FLAG
 
By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Aug 6, 2014
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "Alan Nelson's Bulging Belly" (5.10, X) on the Lost and Found Flatiron. Belayer is Mark Ruocco. Photo by Bill Wright, 10/06.
David Sahalie wrote:
page 3 before a self righteous Tony B rant Tune in for how cool he is cuz he has done it all, but not anymore, grew up and such. Oh, and he is drug counselor, so he really knows stuff like Joan knows nursing.

Wheras you've made 6 posts starting on P2?
I like to bring out the dick in my detractors. And it appears that I just have.

If you like the idea of people lighting up and getting behind the wheel right away, "nice..." I hope you don't kill anyone or get killed.
I, for one, have seen enough lives ruined. It's been liquor, for the most part, on the road, but the studies are the same. Suggesting texting is worse isn't a great excuse.

David Sahalie wrote:
Depends on how high one is. I regularly drive a wee bit high on mostly deserted roads... Like all of wyoming and most of the west.

Speaking of self righteous...
Hey - let me know where you are and your plates, eh? I can arrange to have someone come talk to you about that if you'd like.

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 3 of 7.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>