Canned Sardine Suggestions? What?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Jeremy Hand
slopey

So I was eating some Beach Cliff sardines on ritz crackers, for the first time in a couple years, and I had forgotten how awesome they are. I know sardines don't tickle everyone's fancy but do you have any suggestions on canned sardines, fish, or any other eat on the go snacks that are fantastic with crackers?

I've got a memorial day backpacking trip planned and need to pick up a few more snacks.

Thanks for the input! Also, what're your favorite Hobo Sack ingredients? I've used hamburger, onions, peppers, potatoes, etc, etc... but what is your favorite combination?

By Bobby Treadwell
From Prescott, AZ
Walking the traverse.

Sardines are great! I found a brand called "smiling fish" they have fried sardines in green curry and fried sardines in chili sauce. As far as Beach Cliff goes the louisiana hot sauce fish steaks are the best! Bumble Bee pink salmon is awesome as well.

By Jeremy Hand
slopey

Bobby Treadwell wrote:
As far as Beach Cliff goes the louisiana hot sauce fish steaks are the best!

The Smiling Fish sound really good! I do love the Louisiana Hot Sauce ones, that is actually what I had this morning, I've never had the canned salmon but I'm going to pick up a can for the trip.

Thanks again!

By susan peplow
From Joshua Tree
Beer Anyone?

Smoked Trout in the can from Trader Joes.........YumEEE!

Trader Joes Smoked Trout
Trader Joes Smoked Trout

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
vertebrae roof

Susan is right. Trout in oil at tj's. But it turns out tj's sardines in water suck. Shocker. Why did I think that sounded good? Canned strong fish is no time to be cutting calories

By Jeremy Hand
slopey

There are no Trader Joe's down hurr in Tennuhse :\

By Jeremy Hand
slopey

Scratch that, the closest one is 2&1/2 hours away

By B.S. Luther
From Walnut, CA
May 25, 2012

I know this sounds weird but hear me out... on a trip I'd brought some dried seaweed (nouri, the stuff they wrap sushi rolls in) because supposedly it's an awesome source of potassium. Might be true, and in any case it tastes awesome after a few days out. So when we busted out the sardines, decided to wrap them in the seaweed... bomb! If you like seaweed, try it.

By Jeremy Hand
slopey

Hell yeah! I love nori! Awesome idea man, maybe my girlfriend will even try them now. hahaha

By Nathan Stokes
May 25, 2012

Bela Olhao oil packed sardines from portugal. They have a smoked, smoked with cayenne pepper, smoked with lemon, and regular (those are the varieties I find in New York the most). Best sardines I've had so far. You could also try Tono, which is oil packed jarred or tinned Tuna from italy. Its like comparing Stone Ruination IPA to Bud Light. I've seen single serving cans, but most often glass jars. Also good on crackers.

By sanz
From Raleigh, NC
May 25, 2012
One of my first trad leads, on Ooga Chocka at Crowder's Mountain.

I dunno if there is a Costco near you but they have a really good deal on a brand called "King Oscar" which are super delicious. They only have the basic kind in olive oil, but boy are they tasty! I bring a can on every single trip to the crag!

By J. Broussard
From CordryCorner
Young Good Free Face, 11b

EDIT: Wild Planet (from Costco) has up the ante on what to expect from a can of fish

By T.J. Esposito
From San Diego, CA
Espresso @ New Jack City

Sucks there's no Trader Joe's near you... their "lightly smokes sardines in olive oil" are delicious. I eat way more tins of them than I care to admit!

By Joshua1979
From Colorado Springs, CO
May 25, 2012

Smoked oysters are great on crackers as well.

By matt davies
May 25, 2012

rolled anchovy fillets with capers. Yum!

By simonahlgren
From west lebanon
May 25, 2012

King Oscar crosspack. Accept no substitute.

By JustinJD.
From Denver
May 25, 2012

a little pickled herring with Wasa never hurt anyone....just don't expect any loving until you brush your teeth at least 16 times....

By wivanoff
High Exposure

Kipper Snacks!

By bergbryce
From South Lake Tahoe, CA
May 27, 2012

can anyone suggest which plastic bags are the best for picking up dog shit? i can't figure it out.

By patrick wild
May 27, 2012

Canned fish has no place at the crags. If you must go to a climbing area and bring canned fish for lunch, please be respectful and eat that stinky fish away from where I'm climbing. In fact if you open your sardines near me I will probably knock it out of your hand and slap you. Better yet, just take your kipper snacks to an area where no one else is climbing to be sure you can enjoy your meal without pissing me off. By the way, never mix up the left over fish oils with your cracker crumbs and eat that, especially third day on the wall.

By Scott E.
May 27, 2012

Crown Prince Two Layer sardines are awfully good. Always in extra virgin olive oil only! And ditto on the anchovies with capers! Tasty treats and good for you too.

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
May 27, 2012
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows

Nathan Stokes wrote:

Bela Olhao are the best. Always flakey, never mushy.

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
May 27, 2012
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows

Curt 2004(?) provides testimony for Bela Olhaos on top of Black Orpheus (no sound, so you gotta read lips 0:14 to 0:18):

youtu.be/kYM_8K_Trk0

Edit: Jeremy man I've been waiting years for the perfect thread to upload this

By patrick wild
May 27, 2012

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
May 27, 2012
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows

patrick wild wrote:
Donít get me wrong, I love canned sardines. I even ate some the other day and have more in my cupboard. But, I only eat them at home, like any responsible fish consumer. Sardines only cause problems at the crag. One time, this guy at the crag offered me a sardine, when I went to pick one out of the can I cut my finger on the sharp edge and I almost bled. Obviously, my climbing day was ruined. Another time some dude had some sort of oily canned fish and some of the oil got on my pack. I had to throw away all soft gear in the pack: rope, harness and slings. Iím still a little sketched out using the hardware! Another time I was working a sick route when some newb comes around eating sardines. Without washing his hands, he gets on my proj! I was actually quite scared that he would grease up the crux sloper, so I grabbed my stick clip and started smacking him with it! His belayer was all, ďDude, chill, my bro can onsight this.Ē I mean can you believe that? Just because he can onsight my proj he thinks he can jiz up the crux sloper with his greasy sardine hands?!? Iíve even heard about a crag that was closed because of sardines. All Iím saying is that if you choose to bring sardines climbing, those sardines are capable of causing problems. And guess what, itís not the sardines fault, itís your fault. If you must take canned fish to the crag it has to be white albacore tuna in spring water. And, it must be in one of those new-fangled pouches, not a can!

I'll bring some baby wipes from here on out just in case we're eating sardines and you're around

By patrick wild
May 27, 2012

Eric Krantz wrote:

Just remember the rules and we will be cool, Eric. White albacore in spring water, no can.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>