Can you climb big ass trees?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Mar 31, 2013
RJN

So the other day I'm in a climbing shop and I see a poster(petzl I think) of a couple guys at the top of what appears to be a 100ft+ sequoia tree. Then I'm remembering a couple weeks ago when I was shopping for a portaledge in a description a guy said that it had only been used tree camping. So I put the two together and though of how badass that would be to camp on my portaledge at the top of a forest. Anyone do this? Are there regulations? Or am I just ahead of my time?

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 31, 2013

Ryan N wrote:

haha I saw that add as well.

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Mar 31, 2013
RJN

I can figure out how to fix ropes without harming the tree, I'm just curious if its considered "ok" to do? Here's the inspiration.

There's the photo
There's the photo

By SirTobyThe3rd
Mar 31, 2013
Hello

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 31, 2013

Ryan N wrote:

If you know what you're doing. I saw a piece about dendrologist using bow to send a "tag line" of sorts over a burly limb then "tag up" a main line. Then do a double line ascension. Where are all the arborist when you need them?

By Grover
Mar 31, 2013

yer gonna die
yer gonna die

By TWK
Apr 1, 2013

It might be best to leave these trees alone, no matter how cool it would be.

As climbers, our "community" hasn't even been able to reach a consensus on how best to care for inert, non-living enormous piles of rocks. Now we're going to start fucking around with trees that are hundreds or thousands of years old?

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
RJN

After much google-ing, there are definetly people out there doing this. Seems like as always, national parks are off limits. The methods used to fix ropes are definetly not detrimental to the tree.

As far as "community" census, I'm not asking if its right or wrong. Many might argue that most aspects of climbing harm the environment. There's going to be activists on both sides of the argument, that's why I plan to stay right in the middle and out if the way of said people. Who knows maybe I will start a revolution? PM me if your interested in climbing one, as I'm definetly going to do it this summer.

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

why not just climb a pitch or two off the ground and set up your ledge there?

By TWK
Apr 1, 2013

JUST LEAVE THE FU%KING TREES ALONE!

Kidding. Have fun, and tread lightly. Do you have enough ascent experience? Maybe I'll join in!

By Nicholas Parsonnet
Apr 1, 2013

Check out The Wild Trees by Richard Preston. Awesome book about climbing big ass trees (by the same guy who wrote The Cobra Event...)

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Oh cmon, free-climbing is the next thing in tree climbing, get with the times!

I love climbing trees, being 22 some might say I should grow up, but I say...fuck it. I'd love to climb a huge Sequoia someday!

By RickThalacker

www.amazon.com/The-Wild-Trees-Passion-Daring/dp/0812975596/r>>>

By BighornAdams
Apr 1, 2013

Im an arborist and tree climber for a profession. Im always stoked to climb big trees on spare time as well.

Tree climbers use a different method than rock climbers to scale trees but rock climbing experience certainly helps, and can get you up there. It's always funny watching someone climb a tree as if it were a wall though... :)

Legality of climbing trees only really comes into play if you want to climb some of the big showcase trees in state parks. Keep it on the down low and be sure to prevent any harm to the tree, and you should be good to go.

Pick up a book on climbing trees. Its crazy fun and will blow your mind. By the way, the tree in that picture is more like 350 feet tall!

By SirTobyThe3rd
Hello

By TWK

SirTobyThe3rd wrote:
In Sequoia NP there is a tree called General Sherman. It's like HELLA big (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Sherman_%28tree%29). Would love to see you climb it and set up your ledge on it for a few days. I bet it could be as fun as ice climbing, with tools and crampons. Might take a screws too...and faces of tourons watching from the bottom....priceless.

Ima gunna take my Husqvarna and cut me sum steps!

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.

You should totally lead climb a big tree and set your ledge up/spend the night. I climb trees to put ropes up for a teen camp (practice ascending w/ friction hitches, etc) and as I go up Ill girth hitch a sling around a branch (of course assessing the branch first) and do similar to build the anchor.

Now I never climbed a large tree like the pics. Just 30, 40, 50ft, etc and white oaks or pines, etc. Nothing rare.

Enjoy!

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
RJN

I'm pretty stoked on the idea. I'm pretty sure I will leave the crampons and axes at home though. There's a few guys online that do this. The major obstacle seems to be getting your first rope rigged. First branches can be at least 50-100ft off the ground. Most seem to use crossbow or sling shot to get a thin pull line across the first branch to fix a static rope. Then it's a bunch of webbing and slings to fix ropes to the top. Pretty simple rap-n-pull to get down.

By nicholas patterson
From Boulder, CO
alpine happiness.

'Tree Climber's Companion' would be a great read. It demonstrates how to install a throw-line, use said throw-line to rig a fixed line from the ground, and how to remove it all; without harming any cambium on the tree.
For 'Tree Boating', you'll need minimal gear. Other than the ledge, it should be a pretty nominal investment, especially if you already have some climbing gear.
I also work as an Arborist in the Boulder/Denver area, which helps fund my other climbing. Trees are great, if only because they provide the only three dimensional, dynamic climbing medium on our planet.
And unlike stone, trees are partly sustained by stress and tension. So climb a tree, swing around, and help it grow strong!!!

By SirTobyThe3rd
Hello

If you climb this tree, they will consider you bad ass in tree climbing community! The monkeys are sendin!

By SirTobyThe3rd
Apr 2, 2013
Hello

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/3703708684.html

Someone claims they dropped over a grand for a ledge to camp on a tree for 5 days.

By nick serrano
From Albuquerque, NM
Apr 2, 2013
Chest Full of Kind (IC 5.10)

Be advised that using a bow and arrow in the National Parks is not legal. And if you do go for this, do not climb any of the trees with names... Those are the only ones people are really looking at, and this would be a quasi-legal activity (probably not legal, actually). Better to operate under the radar, away from the trails and the crowds.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Apr 2, 2013
Epic free solo with a pack on

SirTobyThe3rd wrote:

sick tree!!!!!!!!!!!

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Apr 2, 2013
RJN

Yea, that's the guy I saw which I referenced in my original post. I've got a couple PM's from people on MP giving me some real info, and offering to partner up. It's going to happen for sure. Guess its going to be Mountian/Tree Project...

By SirTobyThe3rd
Apr 4, 2013
Hello

please write a trip report for supertopo.com, or PM it to me for the lulz

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Apr 4, 2013
RJN

The plan is set, I'm in the process of acquiring necessary gear. Partners lined up. I will definetly have a trip report in the next month.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>