Can anyone recommend an orthopedic surgeon and PT in Denver/Boulder

By hayduke
Mar 12, 2014

I have a torn ACL and I am looking for recommendations for orthopedic surgeons and physical therapist in the Denver/Boulder area.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am specifically looking for a doctor and PT that understand the climbing and mountain lifestyle and are used to working with very motivated athletes.

Thanks
deputy

By Joe Forrester
From Ft. Collins, CO
Mar 12, 2014

Dr. Michael Hewitt, hands down.
www.cocortho.com/about-us/our-physicians/michael-s-hewitt-md>>>

He did phenomenal work on my shoulder, essentially allowing me to return to climbing, as well as a dislocated and broken tib/fib.

As a surgeon myself, I was very impressed. He understands the climbing lifestyle very well.

-Joe

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Mar 12, 2014

Dr Grauer at Boulder Bone & Joint for the surgery. After both knees being done and having pals seeing several docs, that is what I would do, again...
as for PT, I have not had an experience that I think was so outstanding that I'd say you have to see the same person - it's a little more uniform in my experience - pick one close enough to you that you will go. Showing up is critical.

By aSteel
Mar 12, 2014

Dr. Clinkscales: Hand and wrist. He works with the Broncos, so he's got a decent sense of how to keep you going.

By hayduke
Mar 13, 2014

Thanks for the help.

By rob.calm
From Loveland, Colorado
Mar 13, 2014
Mother #1 on the Nautilus at Vedauwoo. Rob is calm on this happy offwidth

Hayduke,

One of the things to carefully asses before committing to surgery is to ask whether or not you need it. A young professional athlete in a competitive sport that involves making sharp turns needs a functional
ACL. Otherwise, it depends. I've been without my left ACL for 40 years now and have gotten along. Hiking and climbing are fine, but I wouldn't think of basketball or tennis. There's a lot of orthopedic literature about the need for an ACL and you might want to check it out before committing to surgery and perhaps talk to somebody in physical medicine for advice.

Rob