Camping near Red River Gorge

By Jonathon Braud
From denver, co
Climbing at Wall Street, Moab. Pinhead Trad 5.10b
I will be at the gorge first week of May and plan to stay there a week or two. Anyone have any suggestions for free camping in the area? I know of Miguel's Pizza, but saving that $2/night would be really helpful.
Also if you're going to be there during that time, lets climb together!

By EricSchmidt
Apr 10, 2013
No free camping really... You can camp out in the woods on national forest land but I think its still like $3 for a 3 day pass or something like that.

You really are so poor you cant afford $14 for a week of camping at miguels? Seriously? That cracks me up....

By Jonathon Braud
From denver, co
Climbing at Wall Street, Moab. Pinhead Trad 5.10b
No eric, I could easily afford that. I was just wondering if there were any established free camping sites. No need to be a condescending prick

By EricSchmidt
Jonathon Braud wrote:

To answer your question though, NO FREE CAMPING IN THE RED!

By KENtucky
From Richmond, Ky
FAIL
You can camp in our back yard for only $1 per night!!
Its an hours drive to the red.

By EricSchmidt
ilclimberken wrote:
You can camp in our back yard for only $1 per night!! Its an hours drive to the red.

Anything to save a buck, careful he may take you up on that.

By Jonathon Braud
From denver, co
Climbing at Wall Street, Moab. Pinhead Trad 5.10b
EricSchmidt wrote:
Well you said "saving $2 a night would be really helpful" and $14 would only be "really helpful" to a poor person... Its just funny you will spend hundreds in gas to get to and from the red yet climbers are such dirt bags they cant afford 2 bucks a night... I know, I know, every dollar helps but its seriously two bucks. To answer your question though, NO FREE CAMPING IN THE RED!

Hey Eric, I appreciate you urgent response to my question. I couldn't have asked for a more helpful person. I love how you go out of your way to be so helpful. I'm sorry my idea of saving money, where money could be saved (i.e. camping) offended you so much. If calling me a dirtbag makes you feel better, then have at it.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Apr 10, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!
Just gonna add, if you camp on NFS land, it is VERY likely that you'll get harassed and searched by local law enforcement looking for any public display of liquor. People have spent nights in jail for having a beer at camp on public land. Stick to Miguel's.

By EricSchmidt
Jonathon Braud wrote:

Waaaaaaah. Sorry you are such a sensitive little guy. I gave you an answer, NO FREE CAMPING IN THE RED!

Stop being such a dirtball, its two bucks. I just think its funny you are coming all the way from CO, spending hundreds in gas, and are worried about 2 bucks. You probably won't donate any money to the RRGC of FOMV either if you are too cheap to pay $2 bucks to camp.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
camhead wrote:

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Apr 10, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!
EricSchmidt wrote:
...I just think its funny you are coming all the way from CO, spending hundreds in gas, and are worried about 2 bucks. You probably won't donate any money to the RRGC of FOMV either if you are too cheap to pay $2 bucks to camp.

Oh, wait, he's from Colorado? Yeah dude, GTFO. Clear Creek Canyon is way radder anyway.

By Jonathon Braud
From denver, co
Climbing at Wall Street, Moab. Pinhead Trad 5.10b
camhead wrote:

I love Clear Creek Canyon, so many great lines! I moved out here from Bama, and the gorge has been a place I've wanted to visit for years now.

By Jonathon Braud
From denver, co
Climbing at Wall Street, Moab. Pinhead Trad 5.10b
camhead wrote:

This is good to know, thank you!

By Jonathon Braud
From denver, co
Climbing at Wall Street, Moab. Pinhead Trad 5.10b
Woodchuck ATC wrote:
AND if you leave your tent set up all day while out climbing, expect to have stuff stolen or vandalized..You can't beat the price, safety, social setting and great food at Miguels...it's almost like we owe at least 2 bucks a day for the right to climb in the Gorge!!! Also if you climb at PMRP or Muir, do be a good climber and DONATE heavily to those support groups via paypal . It's not a free ride anymore for any of us.

Yeah I like the idea of Miguels, I was just wanting to get input from people in the area. I do always help out the climbing areas in any way possible, whether its volunteering my time or donation.