Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
camping near Colorado National Monument

By notmyname
From Salt Lake City, UT
Apr 4, 2012

I read here that driving through the park and turning right at the Y 7 miles past the visitors center would lead to "wide open" camping. I found a crappy little spot, but that was it...everything else was private. Same went with the horsetheif open lands just before the west entrance.

Did i miss some side roads, or is this just how it is? I'd love to avoid the $20 camping fee for the park or litterally bivying on the side of the road.

How's the Road 18 camping area? Any other suggestions?
I'd be happy to swap secret bivy info for moab, redrocks, or zion.
PM me if you don't want the info public.

thanks!
-Mike

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Apr 4, 2012

There is plenty of BLM land along I-70 not far from there. But camping inside the park itself? Well - not that I know of.
I'll be frank - for the toilet and nice sites, I just pay the small fee.

By notmyname
From Salt Lake City, UT
Apr 4, 2012

By Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Apr 4, 2012
Indy pass

notmyname wrote:
i hear ya, it's just that $20 a night really starts to add up when you figure in park fee, gasoline, beer, road food, etc... By the way, maybe it's just bad luck but I've been constantly disappointed in the local mexican food in Fruita/Grand Junction. Any rec's on somewhere that's really good and doesn't just coast on it's margs..?

Where all have you tried?

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Apr 4, 2012

notmyname wrote:

I save on the gas by camping right there and climbing right there.
Not sure what to tell you about the food in town.
I make all my own food at home, freeze it all, then eat the top things in the cooler as they thaw out. Saves lots of dough too...
I forget the exact directions to where I have camped in/near fruita- most places were not too nice or full of Dirt Bike/Mt Bike Party people. Weeknights won't be bad though, if you are there then...

By notmyname
From Salt Lake City, UT
Apr 4, 2012

Jason N. wrote:
Where all have you tried?

I forget the place in Fruita, but it got a lot of good reviews on citysearch. the other place was "tequillas" in grand junction - recommended by the liquor store patrons.

By Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Apr 4, 2012
Indy pass

notmyname wrote:

I've enjoyed my experiences at Aztecas, which may be more in town than you're looking for. Good service and inexpensive.

By Paul S
From Fruita, CO
Apr 4, 2012
My first FA

Camping out at 18 road is good and free, but it will become very crowded in the spring and fall with mountain bikers. Rabbit Valley is about 17 miles west on 70 of Fruita and has a number of primitive sites both north and south of the freeway. These are spread out a little bit more, so they won't feel as crowded as 18 road.

By Crisco Jackass
From Grand Junction, CO
Apr 4, 2012

Problem is, BLM has gotten real good at putting up blockades at previously long-term primitive camp spots. So anything I say is probably too damned dated, BUT I'd look at Little Park road to the south east of the Monument, Rabbit Valley to the west.
18 Road got sanitized, try any of the other roads and you're less likely to be bothered by others. Pick any road going north of the ditch and camp, shoot, burn, hell go nuts, just don't be out there in the rain.

El Tapatio! tapatiorestaurants.com/index.html Can't speak to their Fruita location, but the GJ one is good.

Gotta pimp Unaweep here, some good camp spots up Divide Road.

By notmyname
From Salt Lake City, UT
Apr 4, 2012

perfect. I'll report back if I go this weekend. thanks a lot

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
Apr 6, 2012
me on my redpoint

There is a campground by the visitors center in the monument on the fruita side. I would also camp at 18 rd though.