Camping in the New?

By Hannah L
May 12, 2014
Hi y'all -- I'm wondering what your recommendations are for tent camping spots in the New. Rogers is closed, yes? Looking for the cheapest spot possible... looking for Miguels of West Virginia. :)

By Matt Carroll
May 12, 2014
the new
American alpine club is the standard IMO. People are usually cool, platforms are super nice, and location is good. After quite a few trips, I wouldn't go elsewhere.

By Nathan Flaim
May 13, 2014
While there are dozens of privately run campgrounds, as well as nearby state park maintained campgrounds with clean facilities and warm showers, none are much cheaper than $10.00 a head. If you really want to save $, you could look at these primitive sights available in the national park service lands:
nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/cam...

Although there are no hot showers, and you'll want to bring your drinking water with you, they are free. No exactly Miguels, but what is?

By MartinH
From Downtown Denver
May 13, 2014
It has been close to 8 years since my last visit to the New but the campground at the base of Summersville Dam was free.

By Brian Payst
May 13, 2014
grayson highlands
Rogers closed a few years ago. The AAC campground is a good bet, I also like Chestnut Creek campground. The Summersville Dam campground is still free, I think, but it's not real convenient and can be loud / full of local partiers.

By PeterW
From Dryden, NY
May 13, 2014
+1 for Chestnut Creek. Seth, who runs it, is real chill. $10 per night

By Joe Virtanen
From Asheville, NC
May 13, 2014
Pit BBQ
The AAC campground is nice and is $7 without an AAC membership, $5 with (if memory serves).

There are no amenities as of yet, so you'll need to figure out showers and such elsewhere.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
May 13, 2014
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Rogers used to be the Miguels of WVA. Now it's undoubtedly the AAC campground. The guy that manages it is a real ball buster though, so look out. He has good beta though, so I suppose you break even.

For a fairly wooded campground with showers, check out Chestnut Creek. For a more open campground with showers that's closer to Summersville and Meadow, check out Ray's. Both are about $9 or $10 a night.

And there are a ton of others. Some are listed on the NRG home page here on MP.

By climbky