Camping in Big Bear

By J CAV
Jun 26, 2014

Car Camping suggestions for Big Bear area? I have 4x4. I need no "amenities" just don't want to be woken up by the police or the rangers. Going to make a weekend trip and check out the area. New to cali, never been out there, looks nice.

Any passes or permits I need? Im from AZ... not used to all these California regulations haha.

Planning on checking out Fishermans Buttress, maybe some bouldering on the north shore. Anything else to check out? Looking for moderate bouldering and sport or any moderate 4wheelin' trails to check out.

I know Holcomb is out there, but thatll be another weekend :)

By Dave Von Behren
Jun 26, 2014

check out the "yellow post" campsites.

www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sbnf/recarea/?recid=74095

Also, no fires allowed right now...this place is DRY, and they are out actively looking for fires rings, etc.

You need a fire permit for your stove, and they are enforcing this also.

If you are thinking about the 4th, be aware the local paper says there are 100 to 150 thousand visitors expected.
yikes!

By Chris Owen
From La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
Jun 26, 2014
There's more than one use for an Ice Hammer. Lake District (UK) late '70s

Yellow Post campgrounds are a good idea but be aware that they only accommodate 1 or 2 "families" at most. They are first come. first served. You'll need to get up there on Monday if you want a place to sleep over on the 4th.

Hanna Flat has one site available from the 5th.

By J CAV
Jun 27, 2014

Noooo way Im going up there on the 4th haha. So if I go to a yellowpost site, do I need an adventure pass?

Permit for my camp stove? are you kidding? Can someone please explain to me why I thought moving to california was a good idea?! How do you guys live out here? Permits and licenses for EVERYTHING.

Anyways, I think im just gonna wing it, ill have a list of campsites and ill run down it. Pretty much just need a place to sleep.

Generally, what time do you need to show up to the site on a non crowded weekend?

By C Miller
Jun 27, 2014
High Desert Sunrise, Joshua Tree NP

Try this for some 4x4 trail ideas (www.socal4x4trails.com/) and good call on Fisherman's as it seldom sees traffic while Holcomb is mobbed. There is a ton of free camping up 2N10 on the south side of the lake and the further up you go/the rougher the road the fewer chances there are of seeing people.

By Frank Pudding
From South El Monte, CA
Jun 29, 2014
On Serpent Scales JTree

Link to online fire permit
www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_0>>>

By Dean Goolsby
Jun 29, 2014

Hi J, take a look at my old stomping grounds, The Coven. Same side of the lake as Holcomb but due West. Plenty of moderates me and some friends put up there, and bouldering too. Check here on MP for some directions. Cheers!

By J CAV
Jul 1, 2014

Dean Goolsby wrote:

Thanks Dean, will check it out

By David Lyons
From Forest Falls, CA
Jul 1, 2014
me Tuolomne

Is the road to the Coven still closed due to the "dangers" of post-fire forest up there, or something of that nature?

J Cav - I agree with you about the shock-value of moving to CA and dealing with all the rules and regs to enjoy the outdoors... find out the fun of standing in line for an hour on holiday weekends outside a ranger station to get a pass to hike a trail! Passes/fees for almost everything. At least the passes are free, unless you want them in advance...

By C Miller
Jul 1, 2014
High Desert Sunrise, Joshua Tree NP

Yes, all the roads (2N13, 2N68) to the Coven are still closed due to the Butler #2 fire in 2007. The closest you can get is a locked gate on 2N68 near Camp Whittle which means an extra mile or so of walking to get to the normal parking area for The Coven.

The first photo shows #1 the normal parking area for The Coven and #2 where you can park closest.

Coven Area Map (click to enlarge)
Coven Area Map (click to enlarge)

The second photo shows the gate from the parking area near Camp Whittle.

Closest Parking Area (taken 6/15/2014)
Closest Parking Area (taken 6/15/2014)

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jul 1, 2014
OTL

• ahem* passes/permits are required by the NATIONAL Forest Service or the NATIONAL Park Service.

but yeah, California sucks, stay away

By cdelu
From Yucca Valley, Ca
Jul 2, 2014
Jackson and I at Smith Rocks <br />

They changed the laws on the National Forest Pass. The only time they can charge you is if you are parked in an established area where a bathroom or other amenities are provided. There is so much free, dispersed camping in the Big Bear area. Just make sure not to have any sort of fire and get a fire permit for using your stove. We camp up there weekly and have no issues finding a place near Holcolmb, as long as we leave by the weekend.

By J CAV
Jul 9, 2014

Up forest road 2N10 was perfect. Thanks for that. Had a good time.

Only needed a permit for my stove :)

By J CAV
4 days ago

Anyone climb at gyms in OC or Long Beach areas? Any gyms, in the area, that focus on ropes? Seems everything and everyone around here is only into bouldering :(