Camping for Red Rocks?

By Tyler W
From Utah
Feb 5, 2013
Scooby Snacks
Hey guys, looking to see if there's a way to use the park and/or camp for free (going over President's day weekend). Any other tips to make the weekend an awesome experience appreciated.

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
Feb 5, 2013
Profile Photo <br />
If you have a NPS park pass it'll allow you to enter the scenic loop free of charge. That being said I don't think there is free camping anywhere and the cops do stop and search cars that parked along the sides of roads. Don't be "that" climber that ruins our relationship with the BLM, and other land managers because you are too cheap to pay the $15 a night it costs to stay at the campground.

By mark felber
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Feb 5, 2013
Years ago (late 90s), there was an "overflow" campground not too far from the scenic loop. It was basically a gravel pit that got the noise and lights from the gypsum plant all night. Is it still there?

By Tico
Feb 5, 2013
The overflow is long gone. You can camp for free in Lovell canyon. I advise being armed, and don't leave anything.

By Dylan Weldin
From Austin, Texas
Feb 5, 2013
Summit of my first tower, the Rectory via Fine Jade
Has anyone ever talked to Bonnie Springs about paying to camp there?

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 5, 2013
1) The interagency pass will get you into the loop road, the regular NPS pass will not (as Red Rock is a BLM area, not an NPS area). Otherwise, entry is $7/day or $30/year.

2) Free camping. BLM land outside the conservation area is free to camp on. This means nothing near Red Rock proper. Lovell canyon Road is free, but dont leave your stuff up there- its not the best place. Parking lots in the city can be cool- Walmart in particular, but be stealthy. Casino parking lots are monitored via video, so probably not a good idea to crash there.

By Matt Kuehl
From the desert
Feb 5, 2013
Plumbers Crack
If you're really trying to go "on the cheap" I believe the best two options for a weekend would be...

Make friends/ask around with other climbers at the campground to share a site. (Aprox $3.50 a day per person with 4 people in one site. Less with more people obviously)

Climb outside of the loop in Calico Basin for free. Or share a ride into the loop.

This is probably the least stressful way to save a few bucks. All other camping/sleeping options require a decent drive and will cost more in gas alone.

By MTKirk
From Billings, MT
Feb 5, 2013
Me on Supercrack

1) Is it a problem rolling into the campground very late at night?

4) Do I need to buy the guide book?

Thanks!

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 5, 2013
MTKirk wrote:
I also will be heading to Red Rock for a week of climbing. My plan is to get there late the night of Tuesday March 26th. Any help with the following questions would be appreciated. 1) Is it a problem rolling into the campground very late at night? 2) Is Lovell Canyon really that bad? If I left my crappy little pop-up camper there while climbing, would it still be there when I got back? 3) My partner and I are both solid 5.9/Easy 5.10 Trad leaders and we enjoy long routes. We'll climb short sections of harder stuff as long as it protects well & can be french freed if needed. It will be our first multi-pitch climbing of the season, so we won't be terribly fit or fast. After a Montana winter we're looking to be warm when we climb. We definitely prefer uncrowded routes. Any Tic list suggestions? 4) Do I need to buy the guide book? Thanks!

1) On a Tuesday? Probably not.

2) I've heard bad things about theft up there, but its all second hand.

3) Good luck, you're coming in the week before RRR and during spring break. Basically anything with a star in the book is going to be busy. The harder stuff- 5.10 and up is usually not too busy, but anything moderate will have a line.

4) Yes. The Handren guide is the one to buy.