camping at/near Devils Lake

By cfuttner
May 12, 2014

I suddenly find myself with an open weekend and was hoping to get up to Devils Lake for a couple of days in the middle of June. Of course camping there is booked solid through to Sept on the weekends. Are there any other camping options near by?

By Doug Hemken
May 12, 2014
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.

Wheeler's
Nordic Pines
Merry Macs

I haven't used any of them, myself ...

By MattG.
May 12, 2014

You can camp at the Lake if you can get there early enough to get the first come first serve sites.

By Ed Wright
May 13, 2014
Magic Ed

Wheeler's is very climber friendly and has good bouldering right on the premises.

By Tronald Dump
May 13, 2014

Look for the next state park north.... I think it's called crystal lake state park. You can rent canoes and boats for good swimming/drinking/let the dogs swim etc.... it's enough to avoid devils lake night noise.... think rvs for jesus with external had TV and sound system. Also could be goodish for the Midwest sandstone trad across from roche a cri bluff state park.

By Brian Wray
From Crystal, MN
May 13, 2014

Tronald Dump wrote:

This is good advice - it's Mirror Lake State park. I've had good results camping there instead of in DLSP proper. Fewer crowds, but a very reasonable drive to DL.

By Tronald Dump
May 13, 2014

Yep. Mirror lake State park is what I meant.

By Craig T
From Chicago, IL
May 13, 2014

Green Valley Campground. Its right next to the park (on 12 near Ski-Hi).

By Woodchuck ATC
May 13, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Craig T wrote:
Green Valley Campground. Its right next to the park (on 12 near Ski-Hi).

Exactly,,,it has no real facilities but no reservations, never really 'fills' up, but it does cost 10 bucks per person, not per campsite.Still cheaper than 40 bucks at Merry Macs these days just to tent camp,,,and it's close to everything, easy in and out. Usually pretty quiet, even some waay back hidden nude-friendly campsites you might snag on a hot sunny day in need of an all over tan. Very friendly family works the place, do help out, respect their simple rules please.