campground near Sand Rock?

By Sofia Zappi
From FL/WY
Sep 10, 2012
Buck Mountain, Grand Teton

Hi! Can anyone please recommend a campsite that'd have showers near Sand Rock AL? I'm staying at John Tanner on the way there, but wonder if there's sthing closer while there. Thanks for any info!

By Be Esperanza
From Asheville, NC
Sep 10, 2012
OKellys Crack, J Tree

I haven't been there in years, but I remember staying at HP40 and venturing out to other climbing areas from there. I think they have showers there, and there's plenty of climbing right there.

www.mountainproject.com/v/horse-pens-40/106094862

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Deeper South
Sep 11, 2012
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'

Cedar Point Campground in Centre is nearby and offers showers. It's a little rough around the edges but quiet and right on the lake, just below SR. Go South for dining options in Gadsden.

Little River RV Park may offer tent camping. I am unsure but it looks like a nice facility from the road. I imagine they'd sell you a shower whether they offer tent camping or not.

HP40 is always a option and offers all the amenities plus some of the best bouldering around...a little less than an hour from SR.

Desoto State Park, 40 minutes NW has cabins and showers. Very nice, shady campground right off of the Lookout Mountain Pkwy.

There are many quiet, primitive camping options nearby if plans change and you're not up for the SR hooliganism.

By Bob M
From Alpharetta, GA
Sep 11, 2012
T Wall

I stayed at the Bay Springs Campground with the family a few years ago, but I wouldn't recommend it. The bathrooms and showers were nice, but the campground was more geared toward RVs and the fishing crowd. My tent site didn't have a bit of level ground and we were packed right in with a bunch of RVs. I'd check out some of the places Ben mentioned.

By Sofia Zappi
From FL/WY
Sep 11, 2012
Buck Mountain, Grand Teton

Thanks guys! will check it out!

By Siberia
From Birmingham, AL
Sep 11, 2012

I've stayed at the Bay Springs. Didn't use their showers but I understand that they are there. The owners were extremely nice, and I'd recommend the place. Sometime you get a Saturday night gospel bluegrass revival. It was... interesting - an experience I'd recommend - just be sure to put your beer in an opaque cup.