Campground near Half Dome

By Edward Pyune
From Las Vegas, NV
Apr 14, 2013
Mongol Hoarde
Hey guys! My cousins and I won the lottery for hiking Half Dome, we had some issue with getting the regular campground, so we are looking for places to camp as close as possible. It's our first time to Yosemite, our current plan is to first check the tioga pass campground, which is apparently first come first served and if there are no spots there, we would head for Reversed Creek.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for where else we check try?

By Gokul
Apr 14, 2013
At the "summit"
You can camp at Camp 4 - it's first come first served, and fills up quickly during the peak season (May to October). The general strategy is to get there in the very early AM and sleep in front of the registration kiosk until the ranger arrives (at 7 am, I think).

Or you could camp in the backcountry - Little Yosemite is just off the Muir trail, if I'm not mistaken.

By Josh Kornish
From Missoula, MT
Apr 14, 2013
Humboldt Bouldering
Hey Edward,

I don't know if your cousin is a climber but you should really just consider climbing the choss pile.

Snake Dike is a stellar climb and very mellow if you have a good trad head. 5.7R

Also the rack for the climb is incredibly light.

Now if you would really rather hike the cables I would not recommend camping up in the Meadows. It's a good drive down. Try to get a spot in the Pines. Camp 4 is also good.

Have fun!

By Highlander
From Ouray, CO
Apr 15, 2013
Get a backcountry permit and just stay in the backpackers camp for a night if you can't get into Camp 4.

By Edward Pyune
From Las Vegas, NV
Apr 15, 2013
Mongol Hoarde
Thanks for the advice guys, we will definitely look at Camp 4 and maybe the backcountry

Josh, I would love to climb, but one of my cousins has wrist problems, so he is unable to climb for much more than 1 or 2 pitches :/

We are still looking at the Upper and Lower Pine campgrounds, but they are all reserved. We hope for something to open up, but it doesn't seem likely

By Josh Kornish
From Missoula, MT
Apr 15, 2013
Humboldt Bouldering
One more thing! DO THE MIST TRAIL! it's a variant off the Muir Trail on the way to the dome. It's gorgeous

By RJNakata
From SoCal
Apr 16, 2013
Highlander wrote:

+1 on that. The backpackers camp is pretty nice. No generators or cars wizzing by your tent at night. That camp is designated for backpackers staging for their overnight trips...

By John D
Apr 16, 2013
You don't really need wrists, or hands to climb snake dike. The first pitch is slab, and once you get on the dike, the hands just make you feel more secure buts its more of a steep hike (5.4-5.2)

By Ryan Huetter
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
Apr 16, 2013
From Mountain Magazine (Bruce Carson's first clean ascent of Sentinal Rock's West Face)
Reversed Creek? No where even close to HD!

By Justin Lofthouse
From Utah
Apr 16, 2013
The Platform
The backpackers camp can be kinda hard to find, so make sure you find out exactly where it is before you arrive (ask someone to post a map and write down how to get there). I think you also need to have a permit that shows that you are going to be going into the back country (someone correct me if I am wrong). As people said, camp four fills up quick, but if you get there really early, 6 or so, and just wait in like with a blanket or something, you will get a couple of spots.

By QITNL
Apr 16, 2013
QITNL
I don't think the backpacker's camp is too hard to find. From the backpacker's parking lot or the lot at Curry, head to the road that leads to the Pines campgrounds, a couple hundred yards from either direction. Take that road over the bridge and hang a left into North Pines campground. Follow the road that parallels the Merced River, when it bends to the right at the end, go another 50 yards and you'll see signs where backpackers unload their cars. Take the footbridge over Tenaya Creek and you're there.

The footbridge is located across from the bathrooms near sites 401/501 on the map here:
nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nor...
(That map should be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise for proper orientation.)