c3, or master cam

By RyanR
From Burlington, vt
Feb 7, 2013

Looking to buy a few more cams already own some c3's but also really like master cams. Any suggestions.

By The Stoned Master
From Millerstown, PA
Feb 7, 2013
Day Lily.

I have 2 sets of the C3s, they are fine as I'm sure you know. After using my friends mastercams those are what I'm going to replace my C3s with. Flexible, dependable (I've had wire problems with my C3s), light and down right sexy looking. Vote 1 for mastercams.

By Superclimber
Feb 7, 2013

Master cams and/or Totem Basics. Not a big fan of C3s.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Feb 7, 2013
Bocan

Honestly, besides the opinions you'll get from here I would go climb on some.

I have a mix of old BD micros, C3s and Mastercams. I picked up a C3 after climbing on my buddies. All in all I've never had issues with any of them and they climb great.

Except for the grey 00 mastercam. The range on it sucks.

By Gargano
From Oakland, CA
Feb 7, 2013

Got a set C3s a few years ago. The red gets used. The others stay in the bag.

For the size, most of the larger C3s aren't as stable as a four-lobe unit. I was on the fence about Mastercams, and after using some wasn't sold.

Ended up picking up some Totem Basics. They're solid, dependable and they fit in tight & flaring spots well. After a year, they're still my favorites. You can fill in the smaller sizes with Fixe Aliens/used Aliens.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Feb 7, 2013
Colonel Mustard

It's probably a good idea to round out your small cams with a different type/brand. So, in that light, I'd rec master/alien/whatever cams.

C3s are a good cam and due to the 3 lobe, narrow head, sometimes fit well in placements you won't get the other cams into. I believe the C3s took a beating in the rep department due to their initially high price, I've never noticed them to be inferior to any of the other small units. All the gripes I heard about them didn't crop up in my real world cam jamming anyway. But you probably weren't on the fence about them anyway, just asking a question of same same but different.

With all the quality options out there now, 99% of the time it is probably purely a matter of preference and you will grow proficient with whatever gear you have.

By Larry S
Feb 7, 2013
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

I wanted to like the mastercams, I bought the blue #1, used it for a while. I don't remember exactly what climb i was on... something at the gunks, I put it in as my first piece in a shallow horizontal, midway cammed. The stem stuck out of the crack right where that little coil spacer around the stem is, between the head and the top trigger bar. I gave it a quick tug down, and the thing pulled right out. I did it again in slow motion and watched the coil around the stem hold the trigger back as the stem flexed, pulling the kevlar cords on the upper lobes, releasing the cam. I pulled it out and put in my old blue TCU instead. I didn't really trust it after that and traded it with someone for a red C3.

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Feb 7, 2013
CoR

Ballnutz. Sometimes they stick too well.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Feb 7, 2013

Larry S wrote:

Not quite the same, but yes, the smallest of the Mastercams have such a coupling of the cams to the triggers from side to side that they don't behave well in uneven placements. Also, the max pull of the trigger isn't where the cam is most flexed, so if a placement walks in...
Well, that's "planned obsolescence" so keep a chunka change free to buy a new one at any given time.

By kevin deweese
From walnut creek, ca
Feb 8, 2013
don't throw rocks

C3s really shine for aid

For free, totem cams or the totem basics first, the I'd go mastercam or the new Bdel X4s (depending on what they're like once they come out)

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 8, 2013

if you have a single set of C3s, i'd also recommend something else. i have been running mastercams, but just got a set of the X4s and like them better (so far) than the master cams for flexibility and the stability.

i used to love aliens BITD, but they are a bit pricey these days. i'd definitely look into the Basics. The boys at Totem are fantastic guys and really make a good product. I've been impressed by them since I met them a few years ago.

By Ian Stewart
Feb 8, 2013

I've used mastercams for a while and I definitely like them. I also recently picked up a set of C3s to supplement them; I've only climbed a couple pitches with the C3s, but it didn't take long to find some perfect placements for them that the mastercams didn't fit in.

If you already have the C3s, you can't go wrong with mastercams. If you're patient you can find them new for $40/each, too, so they're pretty affordable.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Feb 8, 2013

C3s for aid. Totems for free climbing.

By Jon O'Brien
From Nevada
Feb 8, 2013

my c3's break easy and wiggle often but fit in places nothing else would

my master cams are very solid, sit really well when placed, and take a beating. the grey held me on a 12 footer placed upside down with only 3 cam heads touching!

i'd say buy master cams. if you have extra loot, supplement with c3's

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Feb 8, 2013

Jon O'Brien wrote:
my c3's break easy

What do you mean by this?

By Superclimber
Feb 8, 2013

Jon O'Brien wrote:

You sir, are bolder than I.

By James Arnold
From Chattanooga
Feb 8, 2013
Chew toyed

Haven't tried basics, but I'm a long time alien fan-my .02. Also consider offset (mastercam or alien) depending on the rock you climb the most. Love the blue/yellow mc combo.

Maybe wait until the new BD b4 you throw down...rumor has it, hawt...

By Benjaminadk
From Lake George, NY
Mar 7, 2013
Me

have 0-3 mastercam. seem to always reach for the mastercams first. they just feel more solid to me. the yellow and orange (sizes 2 and 3) find a home on just about every pitch i climb. i have noticed that they need more TLC than the rest of my rack (BD C3s and C4s). their construction is tighter and dirt gets in there and makes them sticky from time to time. no issues thus far with the durability of the kevlar wires (50 climbing days roughly). for really small placements i prefer c3. i am interested the new x4s sizes .3 and .4. i think having a little diversity on the rack is good. i carry .5 and up C4. i've used aliens and like them but they are just too darn expensive. especially when mastercams can be found for 40-45 buck on the reg

By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Mar 7, 2013
Flaming Pumpkin

Another vote here for the Totems and Totem basics.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Mar 7, 2013

C3's matched with Totem Basics and Fixe Aliens for the blue and black, ftw. I love the combo

Don't see a reason to have doubles of the same brand of any micro cam (other than alien offsets).

By Neil R
Mar 7, 2013

+1 Wait and try the new BD X4! Then let us know how they are...

By cheifitj
From Boulder, Colorado
Mar 8, 2013
Casual Route Pitch 3  <br />Photo by Mark Cushman

I'm in the same boat, waiting to check out the X4 before I get the mastercams to replace some old aliens. But BD website has a price of 69.95 each on the x4. ten bucks higher than I expected.

-Jon

By Highlander
From Ouray, CO
Mar 8, 2013

I have to say metolius' customer service did not impress me in regards to standing behind their product (mastercams). Sent 2 cams in for repair (broken trigger wires), which in my opinion the kevlar is not very durable and hard to replace on your own when they do break. Anyway, one cam came back the other did not. I was told the cam was damaged and they would not send it back to me. Got no where with the customer rep, other gear companies I have dealt with would have just sent out a new cam. Metolius lost me as a customer, which is too bad because for the most part they make good gear and its made in the USA..