Bringing Back The Dead
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Cultivating Mass
Feb 3, 2013
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
I just took a look at the R.I.P. Supermocc page, and thought to myself, yeah. Why is it that the best shoes get discontinued, or changed to the point they don't fit their longtime wearers?

This is the zombie shoe thread. Post up your favorite pair of discontinued shoes, why they were great, and why they should bring them back.

Mine?
Green anasazi mesa
Green anasazi mesa

A laceup with HF rubber, stickiest I've had on 5.10 shoes-smeared like nobody's business. The heel from the Dragon, combined with the lacing, means that heel hooking was effortless, solid, and precise. The shoe fit like a narrow Anasazi, kind of like the old blue women's anasazi, snug but not painful in the least. One of my favorite things was a crazy stiff forefoot insert-a piece of fiberglass that made these things edge like ice skates. Total precision, no foot fatigue, snug laceup fit-my beat old many-times resoled pair STILL climbs better than a brand new pair of V2 Blancos.

Bring them back, 5.10!

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby
La Sportiva Kendo's
Asolo Runouts
5.10 UFO's.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
5.10 Ascents

5.10 V-Mile

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Feb 3, 2013
It seems that many a boulderer has pined for the return of the V10.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Feb 3, 2013
Also of note, from the responses thus far, and the responses I predict to come, the majority of the shoes mentioned were made by 5.10. It seems that 5.10, among shoe companies, is most guilty of ceasing production of popular and well-designed models.

By Rob Kepley
From Westminster,CO
Yosemite Valley..
Sportiva Kaukulator is still one of my all time favs. Luckily I snagged a pair years ago in the late 90's before production stopped. I climb in them at least once a year and they never let me down.

By Brannen
From Flowery Branch, GA
Feb 3, 2013
5.10 jet 7. I loved that shoe. Blew through the toe on one but still wear the other occasionally

By grk10vq
. . .
La Sportiva Vipers

A versatile shoe with great sensitivity that fit like a glove. It could be an excellent edging/face shoe, yet rip a up a crack at the same time. The go-to shoe for granite, a high performance City of Rocks style slipper. Slab slayer, face climber, crack attacker! A painless, precision shoe. I have two pair, both on their second resole. Pry them from my cold, dead hands!

By Marc H

By nick manning
From superior,az
kauks

By Cory
From Boise, ID
Relaxing in the Tuttle Creek Campground after a fun day in the Hills
Acopa Spectres. I don't think they can come back, since Acopa is no more, but sized snug with fully bent toes they are still so comfortable! I've got two pairs that I'm resoling as necessary, but I'll be sad when they finally wear to the point of no return.

By T.Dailey
From Avon
Morning #1 of 25
Mantra S
Mantra S

Mantra S, the original speedster but with real edges! Bring it Back!

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim
RIP
RIP

Perfect fit (no slingshot rand) for my somewhat wide feet. I climbed my hardest (techy) sport routes to date in them, yet they were comfy enough for long multi-pitch.

The Evolv Demortos were a worthy substitute, though also now discontinued.

By TWK
Boreal Fires
because they were super comfortable on long trad routes and extremely durable

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
fossana wrote:
The Evolv Demortos were a worthy substitute, though also now discontinued.

Though theyve changed them somewhat with the VTR, the Demorto is one of Evolvs better sellers and is still in production.

By ACR
Feb 4, 2013
The Boreal Laser! The original version, Lynn Hill used to rock 'em too!

By wivanoff
Feb 4, 2013
High Exposure
La Sportiva Mariacher. Because they were high top to protect my ankles and were the last climbing shoe to really fit my feet.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Feb 4, 2013
Yoda
Mike Lane wrote:
La Sportiva Kendo's Asolo Runouts 5.10 UFO's.

Exactly, and in order!

By Paul P
From RSA
Feb 4, 2013
Marc H wrote:
I thought I had a pair from the mid 90s. But I just realized they might be the second generation Vipers, AKA Cobras. I'm sure someone can fill me on the timeline.. What are these?

Those are Cobras. I think they came just after the first gen Vipers (the blue ones), around 96/97. The yellow Vipers came much later.

By ACR
Feb 4, 2013
The orange Runouts or the green Runouts? Which was the first generation? For a while the shop I worked in had both. I seem to recall the orange version had a different toe profile and they stained your feet orange every time you wore them.

Anybody remember the black and yellow "Kevlar" version? They sucked big time. I'll try to find pictures

By Morgan Patterson

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
Feb 4, 2013
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim
John Wilder wrote:

Hey John,

I was told by an Evolv rep that they were ending production as of 2012. At any rate the redesigned model doesn't fit me well.

By chuffnugget
From Bolder, CO
Feb 4, 2013

older Ninjas, the newer ones sucked and should have been discontinued.

and yes, the 5.10 UFO rocked.

By Ian Stewart
Feb 5, 2013
grk10vq wrote:
La Sportiva Vipers

I have a pair of these and was never really impressed...though I think that's more because I don't like slippers and less because of the shoe itself. (Mine are yellow size 43 if you're on the hunt for another pair...)

Rob Kepley wrote:
Sportiva Kaukulator is still one of my all time favs.

These are before my time as a climber, but one of my climbing partners never shuts up about how awesome these were/are.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>