Bridal veil falls ice festival
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By matt tuttle
Jan 5, 2014

Hey all just a heads up, Jan 31-Feb 1 there will be a ice fest in Provo. Jeff Lowe and Scott Adamson will be feature presenters at UVU and there will be gear demos and clinics up at Bridal Veil and Stairway. More info is coming soon. Stay Tuned

By RobC2
Jan 6, 2014
This..

What no comp?

By matt tuttle
Jan 6, 2014

Not this year but hopefully next.

By mike c
From nederland
Jan 6, 2014
keeping it cool

sounds amazing!

By RobC2
Jan 7, 2014
This..

matt tuttle wrote:
Not this year but hopefully next.

Excellent. Make it an open...

By adrichavez
From SLC,UT
Jan 8, 2014

do they have a website up, i googled and couldn't find anything.

By Ryan Stott
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jan 8, 2014
Uintas

adrichavez wrote:
do they have a website up, i googled and couldn't find anything.

Hey, Adriana, I saw a poster with this link on it. Keep the festival streak alive

12fingeradventure.com/

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Jan 10, 2014
Why I do it...

I was hoping to not have to sleep in my geo metro again.
Does anyone have a place I can crash at on 31st Friday Night? I'd take the couch, or the living room floor.

By Klimbien
From StGeorge Orem Littlton Vegas
Jan 14, 2014
Zion - GWT Great White Throne crag

@ Kevin, hey dude how's life, been awhile. I'm out of town so I can't help ya but you should really look at the website couchsurfing.org, has worked for me every time!

By chadnuesmeyer
Jan 15, 2014
Take it easy

I have a couple of groups that might be interested in sponsoring this. Anybody know who to talk with about that?

By Dan.C
Jan 16, 2014

Pretty excited about the fest!!! Chad, please have any potential sponsors contact me anytime. Dan 801-360-5183 Thanks!!!

By dbrown
Jan 17, 2014

How much do the clinics cost? Plus, is there any charge for demoing the ice gear? Thanks!

By matt tuttle
Jan 21, 2014

Bridalveilwinterfest.com has I hope the answer to most of the questions

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Jan 21, 2014
Me scaring years off my mom's life

www.bridalveilfallswinterfest.com/

By cdec
From SLC and Moab, ut
Jan 21, 2014

It would be helpful to know who was teaching the clinics.

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Jan 21, 2014
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

I just read the site. It does not say who is teaching the intro mixed class but Scott Adamson is teaching the advanced mixed class.

By Spencer Weiler
From SLC, UT
Jan 28, 2014
adf

I was just informed by Linda, one of the event organizers on the website, that Jeff Lowe has gotten sick and is in the hospital, and will be unable to present at the event. Huge bummer as I was looking forward to hearing him.

By Dan.C
Jan 28, 2014

Yeah it is a bummer. Jeff did have some heath issues arise so he won’t be able to present at this one. Luckily he is healing up and doing much better. For this reason we had to cut out Friday night (refunds will be issued) but everything is still a go Saturday. Plan on beginner to advanced clinics, come and swing on the ice program (first timers welcome), presentations by Scott Adamson and Stacy Taniguchi’s as well the after party with live music.

By dbrown
Jan 28, 2014

I called and it was $79 dollars to do a clinic and $15 dollars to get the demos and do 1 or 2 burns on the ice.

By CozellaTH
From Idaho Falls, Idaho
Jan 29, 2014
Get the handle on a V2

If anyone is interested in carpool. I am driving down from Idaho Falls Friday night and heading back Sunday morning.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Jan 29, 2014

With the storm coming in I hope you all have an alternative to doing clinics especially around Bridal Veil as the avy danger is going high. There is already a avy watch in place:

utahavalanchecenter.org/advisory/salt-lake

FWIW during the last cycle a couple of weeks ago large timbers came down Millers. Between the first and second pitch are old logs from previous slides but a nice new one landed above the second pitch. It was about 16-18" in diameter and 10-12 feet long. That tells one the power of the slides.

As such, one does not want to be anywhere under any of the climbs except for perhaps Stairway. And even then it will be questionable.

By John Ross
From Wasatch Front, UT
Jan 29, 2014
FA of <a href='/v/gunner/106128521'>Gunner</a>, AF Cyn.

Allen Sanderson wrote:

The BV ice festival sounds like great fun! Hopefully it can be adjusted for conditions and be as safe as possible. As hinted above the Stairway can certainly slide too. It may not have the monster avy's like BV chute sometimes has, but the sloping steps up the Stairway can store unstable snow that does let loose on occasion with enough punch to knock a leader off the ice.

One time we were climbing a bit of ice to the right side of P2 of the Stairway on a warm-ish afternoon. We heard a distant rumble above that turned into a roar so we ducked for cover. A wet slide came shooting down the Stairway that packed a good amount of force and wind, and covered us in spindrift. Fortunately no one was directly in its path at the time. Unfortunately the “right avy conditions” pay no attention to plans for festivals

By Warbonnet
From Utah and Cambodia
Jan 29, 2014
FA "Unfinished Business" 5.11cR Wind River range, Wyoming. Beta photo in this album

Don't know the logistics of this (access, legality, methods, liability) but maybe those who know what they are doing (patrollers) can "pull" those potential avi's down if they appear to be a threat. Yeah, I know.....lots of problems in doing so.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Jan 29, 2014

The lower part of the Provo canyon area is on private land. I.e. Stairway, BV falls, and further up canyon. There are times that UDOT will shoot the canyon. To my knowledge though they do not shoot that side of the canyon because the slides typically do not impact the highway.

By Warbonnet
From Utah and Cambodia
Jan 29, 2014

Allen Sanderson wrote:

I know it's late in the game....maybe too late.....but I wonder if UDOT would accommodate the festival? Good PR for them but probably a bureaucratic hurdle they couldn't overcome. But just shooting doesn't guarantee the troubles are over. Just wondering......

By Dan.C
Jan 29, 2014

Good points everyone on the Avalanche conditions. We have been actively looking at the situation and have been in contact with the Utah Avalanche Center (UAC) as well as with the UDOT avalanche controllers discussing a plan of action for the festival. Our current plan is to monitor what this storm brings and specifically to look at what the situation is at the Stairway to Heaven area (the only area being considered). As mentioned in the above thread the Stairway shelves can be an issue and for this reason we will be looking closely at what this storm brings over the next few days discussing the plan with the UAC and UDOT. However, based on what the storm is predicted to bring at the elevation of the Stairway things are looking positive for us to hold the festival there. We will be updating this thread each day as we move closer to the event.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>