Bouldering Locations within hiking distance of the University of Utah.

By Luke Metzger
From Ogden, Utah
Mar 24, 2014

Does anyone know of any bouldering locations within hiking distance of the university of Utah? I don't have a car but i could take the bus to bouldering areas in the salt lake valley does anyone have any suggestions?

By Tyler W
From Utah
Mar 24, 2014
Scooby Snacks

Take a bus out to little cottonwood canyon.

By Jack Maberry
Mar 24, 2014

Take the bus to LCC, worth it compared to anything else you'll find. There are a couple rocks around the foothills directly behind campus, nothing really worth climbing.

By MRock
Mar 24, 2014
Split shin after 5.9+ R lead

Petes rock has some decent problems to take up a day. But, if youre going to travel that much, might as well make it lcc. Theres some rocks up at the grassy knoll east of bobsled on the bst too, seems like you could find a line or two.

By Luke Metzger
From Ogden, Utah
Mar 24, 2014

Thanks guys. I'm from Ogden I'm used having popular bouldering routes practically in my back yard. Where is the best bouldering in LCC?

By Jack Maberry
Mar 24, 2014

Generally speaking its all over the canyon, with the best areas more concentrated near the bottom. There's a climbers trail from the top of the parking lot at the base of the canyon, and tons of good bouldering can be accessed from there. Near the base there are popular areas every couple hundred yards, sometimes closer, and on both sides of the road. The most popular areas are closest to the road (and often crowded this time of year), and there's tons more to be explored as you hike further.

By zoso
Mar 24, 2014

There's an extremely gnarcore chunk of limestone on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail east of the Genetics bldg. Good luck. Supergnar slabbin.

By Luke Metzger
From Ogden, Utah
Mar 25, 2014

Yeah we bouldered that one a while ago. It is set up for top rope if anyone is interested in doing it safely.