bouldering in southern Massachusetts

By patrick donahue
From Gunnison, Colorado
Nov 18, 2010
me climbing at lost horizon, NH

so im heading down to southern Massachusetts for the holidays and was wondering where the best bouldering area/areas are south of boston and east ish of 495 S.

By john strand
From southern colo
Nov 18, 2010

Gilbert Hills- Lots of stuff, very good. Milford is good too but spread out.
Lincoln Woods, RI is great and not far away.
All 3 areas in MP database

By DFrench
From The Shrew, MA
Nov 18, 2010
Vervet Monkeys know which site is best.

Just wanted to add that I've hiked around Milford several times and have yet to find anything but the man-made V7 arete thing. The directions on this site are horrible, so don't waste your only time in the area wandering around looking for Vietnam or whatever its called.

Much better to go to F. Gilbert Hills State Park or Borderland State Park since they fit your criteria. Also, Lynn Woods (a little bit NW of boston) has seen a lot of nice looking additions on this website lately.

Have fun in Mass!!! Hoping you get some good bouldering weather!

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Nov 18, 2010
Bocan

Is Great Barrington still off limits?

By Brandon Willsie
From Exeter, RI
Nov 18, 2010
Me topping out on my favorite warm up in the Woods.

If you're in the area and have the time you've got to visit Lincoln Woods. Lots of classic stuff at many different grades. If you can grab one of the locals to go with they can point you towards something your style.

By Jasonn
Nov 18, 2010
P 3 Summit wall

Scott McMahon wrote:
Is Great Barrington still off limits?

I never knew there was bouldering in Great Barrington. Why is it off limits?

By clemay
From Boulder, CO
Nov 18, 2010

Jasonn wrote:
I never knew there was bouldering in Great Barrington. Why is it off limits?

Last I knew it isn't off limits but you have/had to park in a residential area which had been an issue in the past but you should check with the WMCC just to be safe. Other than that, the bouldering out there awesome!

By Lanky
From Portland, ME
Nov 18, 2010

Great Barrington is way out west anyway.

By Jasonn
Nov 18, 2010
P 3 Summit wall

Oh I see. Yea, it is west, your rite. Lucky for me, I have family who live in GB

By Lanky
From Portland, ME
Nov 19, 2010

Shoulda said I don't know a thing about the access situation in GB, but I've heard the climbing is excellent. Hope whatever issues exist can be cleared up.

By cstorms
From North Bend, OR
Nov 19, 2010
poking out of the crash pad

If you are going to be in Southern Mass you should just head down to Lincoln Woods. It is easy to find the bouldering, and there is a ton! MP has a lot of the problems listed on this website, but it couldn't hurt to grab the new england bouldering guidebook. Since everything is so established, you will spend more time climbing and less time searching. See you there, peace.