Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Boulder City Council elections- which candidates are pro access?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Oct 27, 2013
At the BRC
Anybody know which candidates are in favor of access and which ones are against? The article in the Daily Camera is careful not to name any names.
dailycamera.com/guest-opinions...
I've heard that Shoemaker and Byrnes are the two good guys (guess where my prejudice lies!) but I'm not really sure where to look to get the facts.
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Oct 27, 2013
Cima Margherita and Cima Tosa in the Dolomiti di B...
Andrew Shoemaker gets my vote. Mark Oveson hit the nail on the head with his article. The process that led to the creation of the conservation area is an important precedent that we, as climbers, should not forget.

OSMP has consistently tried to restrict access to the largest extent it could get away with. In that, it has been in unison with numerous members of City Council.

If you need a refresher on how much climbers count in their decisions, look up the literature on OSMP's site. Politicians respond to votes, and that's why, while I support 2E, 2H, and the like, I'm going to vote against 2C.
brenta
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 2, 2006
72 points
Oct 27, 2013
At the BRC
brenta wrote:
Andrew Shoemaker gets my vote. Mark Oveson hit the nail on the head with his article. The process that led to the creation of the conservation area is an important precedent that we, as climbers, should not forget. OSMP has consistently tried to restrict access to the largest extent it could get away with. In that, it has been in unison with numerous members of City Council. If you need a refresher on how much climbers count in their decisions, look up the literature on OSMP's site. Politicians respond to votes, and that's why, while I support 2E, 2H, and the like, I'm going to vote against 2C.


Which one is 2C again?

Am I right in thinking that it is better to ONLY vote for the good guys, even if it means not using all your votes?

What do you think of Ed Byrne?

I wish Christian Griffith had done better when he ran a few years ago. He would have been great on the Council.
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
204 points
Oct 27, 2013
Mashers Tower
Mark E Dixon wrote:
I wish Christian Griffith had done better when he ran a few years ago. He would have been great on the Council.


seriously? holy shit what are you basing this on?
Cornelius Jefferson
Joined Apr 5, 2006
162 points
Oct 27, 2013
Cima Margherita and Cima Tosa in the Dolomiti di B...
Mark E Dixon wrote:
Which one is 2C again? Am I right in thinking that it is better to ONLY vote for the good guys, even if it means not using all your votes? What do you think of Ed Byrne? I wish Christian Griffith had done better when he ran a few years ago. He would have been great on the Council.

2C is the one extending the current 0.33 percent tax that goes to OSMP beyond 2018 and in perpetuity. OSMP would get 0.22 percent until 2035 and 0.10 percent thereafter. For the casual reader, it may be worth noting that this is 0.33 out of the 0.88 percent that OSMP currently gets. So, they are certainly not going to starve.

Ed Byrne seems a reasonable guy. He supports 2C, but that would not prevent me from voting him. I'm still trying to better figure out what he stands for.

Finally, I agree that voting someone just because you have five votes to cast is the wrong thing to do.
brenta
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 2, 2006
72 points
Oct 28, 2013
It can be extremely important not to vote for those who don't support access, as it could mean that your top choices lose and we lose access.
Consider this simple scenario. Note that the following is theoretical.
You get 5 votes. There are 5 seats open.
There are 7 candidates, 2 pro access, 5 con.
There are 1000 voters, 500 pro access, 500 con. (We wish.)
The 500 con vote for the 5 con candidates and they each have 500 votes.
The 500 pro access voters vote for the 2 pro access candidates and they each have 500 votes.
So far, so good?
But now you (and the other 499) use your other 3 votes to vote for con candidates.
They all end up with more than 500 votes and your 2 pro access candidates lose.
A thousand permutations of the above exist, but the bottom line is that you should only vote for those who views you support.
Mark Hammond
From Eldorado Springs, CO
Joined Oct 17, 2006
250 points
Oct 29, 2013
For more on Andrew Shoemaker and Ed Byrne, read this:
mountainsandwater.com/2013/10/...
Peter Beal
From Boulder Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,981 points
Oct 29, 2013
Mashers Tower
thanks for that Peter, well done.

I'll definitely be voting today
Cornelius Jefferson
Joined Apr 5, 2006
162 points
Oct 29, 2013
I agree that Boulder residents interested in climbing access should vote ONLY for Andrew Shoemaker and Ed Byrne for city council. They should also vote for 2C, because the funds are used mainly to acquire land and prevent housing and commercial development on those lands. Climbers should be grateful that the Flatirons and Mickey Maus aren't on private land and that houses aren't swarming all the way up to (or past) most of the mountain fronts above Boulder. George Bracksieck
Joined Oct 4, 2008
1,016 points
Oct 30, 2013
Cima Margherita and Cima Tosa in the Dolomiti di B...
I'm certainly grateful to those who promoted the creation of what is nowadays Boulder's Open Space. It doesn't follow that I should then support a program that is trying to deny access to that space.

A program that, even without the funds 2C would grant it, would continue to count on about $15M a year to play Monopoly near the Kansas border. OSMP's acquisition plan, approved last year and available from OSMP's site, has identified no needs for the Mountain Parks.
brenta
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 2, 2006
72 points
Nov 4, 2013
+1 Eric and Lucie
From Boulder, CO
Joined Oct 14, 2004
153 points
Nov 4, 2013
Upper Parunuweap Canyon
George Bracksieck wrote:
I agree that Boulder residents interested in climbing access should vote ONLY for Andrew Shoemaker and Ed Byrne for city council.


I give these two guys credit for attending a Boulder trail running sponsored event despite the fact they spent the bulk of their time talking about their past history with the US Pro Cycling Challenge and a skiing program. We need all the help we can get to regain OSMP climbing access.
fossana
From Sin City & Bishop
Joined Apr 30, 2006
12,061 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.  
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!