Bolivia/Chile/Argentina October-December 2014

By Mike Sullivan
Aug 13, 2014
Modern art?
Hey y'all,

I'm going to be in Bolivia and Chile for work this autumn, and want to take some time to climb after my projects are done. I'll be available starting mid October and am thinking of staying until Christmas. Beyond that, I'm flexible with destinations and dates. Possible destinations could include Pucon, Bariloche, maybe the Cordillera Real or Quimsa Cruz, though it'd be pretty late in the season for any serious climbs there. I guess some of the volcanoes in the Altiplano stay dry even through the rainy season... My goals would be to climb some peaks (any grades from F to AD+ or D) and do a bunch of trad climbing, preferably multipitch in the 5.8 to 5.10 range, or harder if you wanna lead it. Also open to trekking if the climbing options don't pan out.

Anybody interested in meeting up with me? Anybody have any recommendations on good places to go and best months to be there?

Cheers,

Mike Sullivan
Durango, CO

By Danclimber
Aug 14, 2014
Hi
I'm also planning a trip to Bariloche area from oct 29to nov 29. That is the time i have available. i now realize that is their spring so it might not be a good time to be there.
Yes it would be good to meet up.
thoughts?
Dan,
Squamish, Canada
moonview1@hotmail.com

By Mike Sullivan
Aug 14, 2014
Modern art?
Hi Dan,

I'm trying to check in with friends who have climbed before in Bariloche, but haven't heard back from them yet. From what I've heard/read, the snow may keep us from getting on a lot of the climbs in early Nov, but a lot of routes should be accessible and dry by late November, with conditions getting even better in December. I was in Cochamo last December, which is further south from Bariloche -- the snow was mostly melted off, but a lot of the climbs were still wet even that late in the spring.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to spend early Nov in Pucon or some other (less alpine) destination, and then hit Bariloche later in the month? Let's try and do some more research and see what the options are. I've got a few Chilean climbing websites bookmarked, but haven't had time yet to learn about the options, other than that they exist... I don't know anything at all about climbs in Argentina, except for Chalten and Bariloche/Frey.

You can reach me on email at zarmot@yahoo.com. I'm around for the next day or two, but will be out of touch for most of the coming 3 weeks -- working on a solar project in the jungles of northern Bolivia.

Thanks for contacting me... I'll let you know when I hear back from one of my friends about Bariloche. Please let me know if you dig up any more details.

Cheers,

Mike

By Chris Clarke
From La Paz, BO
Aug 14, 2014
I'll be in La Paz then. The last three years have had a fair amount of good climbing weather October-December but who knows about this year.

By Mike Sullivan
Aug 16, 2014
Modern art?
Hi Chris,

I'm working in Bolivia until about 5 Sept, and then I have to be in northern Chile on Sept. 20 for more work. I have free time between about the 5th and 15th. If you are in La Paz then, would you be willing to meet? I'd be happy to buy you a couple of beers if you are willing to share some beta on the Real and other climbing options you are familiar with.

Cheers,

Mike
zarmot@yahoo.com

By Chris Clarke
From La Paz, BO
Aug 18, 2014
Hi Mike,

I'd be happy to meet you in La Paz but I will be in the US until early morning on the 16th. I'm free after that until mid-December. I'll send you an email.

Cheers,

Chris

By Mike Sullivan
Aug 30, 2014
Modern art?
Thanks, Chris -- I'll be in touch via email.

Anyone else out there who has an interest in meeting up in Pucon, Bariloche, or other destinations; or who has some advice to share on climbing in the region?

By CathyO
Sep 5, 2014
I've just left Bariloche and I'd be very surprised if you can't access the Frey granite in Nov. At the end of Aug they were already talking about closing the Cerro Catedral ski resort because the winter had been so poor and the snowline was so high. There is very little base, so even if they do get a spring snow dump, it'll melt away quickly. Frey is a lovely area!

By Mike Sullivan
Sep 5, 2014
Modern art?
Hi Cathy, thanks for taking the time to let me know about conditions. Bummer for the ski season, but that should definitely help with spring climbing. Anyone else out there interested in climbing around Frey/Bariloche this Nov and Dec?

By Gabe K
Sep 5, 2014
Hey Mike - I'm working on Chiloť Island from now (Sept. 5th) until beginning of December. I'm hoping to make some short trips to Cochamů & the Frey/Bariloche area before I finish work, and then I will also have three weeks in December to travel throughout Patagonia. Would love to meet up and climb, weather & time permitting! Feel free to shoot me an email at gkiritz@ucla.edu.

Gabe

By Mike Sullivan
Sep 6, 2014
Modern art?
Cool Gabe, I will email you. Cochamů is a pretty amazing place, you're gonna like it!

By Michelle Kinny
2 days ago
slab lead
Hey Mike and Chris! I'm in La Paz at the moment and would love to climb! I'll be in Bolivia for about a month more and want to climb as much as possible. I sport climb 5.11s and can follow trad. Let me know if you're still in the area and want to meet up!
Michellekinny@gmail.com

By Mike Sullivan
2 days ago
Modern art?
Hi Michelle,

I left La Paz on Friday and am now in northern Chile. Chris is very well connected to the climbing scene in Bolivia, so I'm sure he can hook you up with partners. I think he arrives there in just a day or two. Meanwhile, email me if you want contact info for a few local climbers in La Paz. The weather's been pretty rainy, but I hope it clears up for you. You should definitely go meet Denys Sanjines at the Hostal Topaz on Calle Saavedra -- she can hook you up, too. And if it rains, there is a pretty good bouldering wall/cave at the hostel. Saludos y buena suerte!