Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
black diamond prodigy glove

By matt.schwab
From Estes Park, CO
Nov 10, 2010

does anyone have an opinion about these? i tried them on in the local shop, and i think that they are very comfortable. unfortunately, the reviews i've read from folks posting at online retailers haven't been so good. i'm always a bit speculative about postings on those kind of sites, as they've lead me wrong before. maybe you have a suggestion for an entirely different glove? as far as my intended use, i'll be trying ice climbing for the first time this season, and i enjoy some easy mountaineering stuff, snowshoeing and just strolling around in the snow.
thanks for any help you can offer.

By Tim D Danley
From silt, co
Nov 25, 2010
Roman Headwall <br />

I have heard that other companies will write bad reviews to steer people away from one company in the hopes to get them to look at their stuff. I personally like Black Diamond gloves. They are durable, comfortable and warm (depending on the type and the outside).

By talkinrocks
From Boulder, CO
Nov 25, 2010
Washburns Thumb.  Denali

Prodigy gloves are the shit! I have had them for 2 full seasons. Use them only when its burly cold out. They've gotten some patrol use and they are still intact. Cheaper than the guide glove but still has a removable liner to dry. Prolly a bit too bulky and thick for ice climbing, super pump waiting to happen, but for skiing or mtneering they are tits.

By Craig Quincy
Nov 25, 2010

While we're on the subject, has anyone tried the BD specialist glove? I am looking for a good ice climbing belay glove for moderate temperatures. Ideally something that has good dexterity and is OK for rappelling.

By climbskihike
From Bay Area, CA
Sep 5, 2011

Just noticed this post.

I have the BD specialist, they are fairly warm, but a bit bulky for placing and removing screws. I have used them for ice climbing and the warmth is great but for vertical ice you are probably better off with somethign lower profile. They worked well on shasta and and as a ski glove for tahoe/utah as well, but the padding on the back makes it a pain to get them in and out of ski pole straps sometimes. minor issue but kind of annoying.

In general, I've found it a good all around glove that does most things reasonably well, and keeps me warm and dry in moderately cold temps.

By Kurt Ross
From Boulder, colorado
Sep 16, 2011
Every single day.

I have the renegade glove and have been very happy with them. They're not as warm as the prodigy, but they are a LOT more dexterous. I wear them for almost all of the ice climbing I do.

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Sep 16, 2011
Bucky

Craig Quincy wrote:

Meh. I have a pair and I don't bother using them because they are not particularly dextrous (they pretty much just collect dust in my closet). The trade-off for using a bulky glove like the Specialist should be that it is warmer....only they are not very warm!!! I have a similar complaint about the Punisher glove, which IMHO, is like an inferior version of the (now discontinued!!!) Cloudveil Ice Floe glove. I much prefer either of these gloves for dexterity and warmth:

www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/gloves/pur>>>

or

www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/handwear/ascent/extravert>>>

I thought the BD Pursuit was better a few seasons ago when the liner was wool, but they are still nice with the fleece liner. The OR gloves are super dextrous and they are wool, so they are definitely warm (and VERY reasonably priced as well).

By shoo
From Boston, Massachusetts
Sep 17, 2011
Rock wars, Red River Gorge

Worth checking out the punishers instead. I am basically the only one among my ice climbing friends who doesn't have a pair of these at this point, and I want one. Really nice tools for leashless.

By David Ford
From Cambridge, MA
Oct 3, 2011

Punishers are amazing. They climb really well and they're warm. In fact, the only time I don't use them is on the approach (often too warm unless it's very, very cold out), overhanging climbing when it's warm out (go with a thin glove) and at the belay if it's cold.

Until I got Punishers I would switch between a really warm glove and a really dextrous glove at the beginning of every lead and switch back at the belay. In normal ice climbing temps I find this unnecessary with the Punishers, and having a bit warmer of a glove keep the screaming barfies at bay during the pitch.

If you're patient, you can sometimes score them online for like $50 or $60, so stock up if you see them! Unless you're a size L.