black Alien incorrectly assembled?

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Jan 19, 2012
blah

I have a black Alien, I think it was assembled incorrectly. The head of the cam is 30 degrees off from both the trigger bar and the loop at the bottom. now before we get started with the "Ur gonna Die's" do you think it might be safe for use? or is this cam going to be holding a flower pot from the crack in the concrete of my ceiling?

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Jan 19, 2012
Thumbtastic

New or old Alien? I keep old fuct up cams on a just in case basis, but if you find yourself doing realdeal hard climbing, this isn't even a question.

Especially considering the size of the piece, it's pretty bad news for you and your insurance provider if it turns out that righteous tweak inhibits function. Replace the piece, save it for taking up space in the Creek bin.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Jan 19, 2012

Nothing wrong with it.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Jan 19, 2012
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

1. Yer gonna die. Get it right ;)
2. Pictures would help?

It sounds like maybe the trigger wire is holding it in an odd position, like when you fall on a nut and it sometimes sets the wire at an odd angle.

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Jan 19, 2012
blah

held vertically
held vertically

horizontal cross section
horizontal cross section

I have not been using it much obviously, it looks pretty new. I never really cared for this size alien. but it does look a little weird.

By BDergay
From Eldorado
Jan 19, 2012
Jayy-Dogg on rappel

That's how the black alien was designed/made-

I can't remember the exact reason Dave (Waggoner) designed them that way.. ergonomics, maybe.. I can't remember. It was a while ago, right when that unit was first introduced.

But I remember bringing up the same thing with him back in the day (when we used to refer to that unit as the "crack baby"- ha-ha).

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Jan 19, 2012
blah

Thats Really good to know. just figured you cant be to careful with the little ones.

By BDergay
From Eldorado
Jan 20, 2012
Jayy-Dogg on rappel

Ahhhh- you might be surprised... The black alien is pretty bomber- I've taken some fair sized whips on it (and blue aliens)..

By Adam Baxter
From Estes Park, CO
Jan 20, 2012

Mine is the same way. I remember opening the care package that came direct from CCH with my set back in '05, pulling the black out for the standard 'new cam trigger pull satisfaction coupled with shit eating grin' and going "WTF?"

Totally normal. A great piece, although I cant speak too highly of the ergonomics design.