Bishop Area Trad/Crack Climbs in Winter?

By David Dennis
From Central California
Jan 1, 2014

My partner and I were looking to roadtrip this spring and are planning on being in the Bishop area for most of February. We are going to boulder, of course, but wanted to get on as much trad or multipitch as weather will allow. We love cracks. Are places like Pine Creek Canyon climbable in the winter? Does it get ice up there? Any good crack lines in the Buttermilks? We've got the Croft/Lewis guide but are always interested in other opinions.

By everbrad
From Inland Empire, CA
Jan 1, 2014

Croft/Lewis guide is the best printed resource although I'm sure there's more out there. Rabbit Ears is rumored to be very doable in the winter and was recently featured in an article by Peter Croft. But anything facing south should be doable with mild weather as long as you're not too high up. There's lots to do in the southern sierra but with even less printed resources (Out of print Domelands guide but readily available). I'd be down a Rabbit Ears ascent and some more exploring if wouldn't mind a third.

By old5ten
From Berkeley + Sunny Slopes, CA
Jan 2, 2014

pine creek is quite climbable in the winter if it's dry (like right now).

By fossana
From Boulder, CO
Jan 2, 2014
West Overhang

It will depend on the weather. If it's anything like the balmy last few weeks you can climb in Pine Creek, Little Egypt, and maybe even Cardinal Pinnacle. Ask for Tai at Wilson's for Pine Creek beta. There's a topo for Rabbit Ears (and other areas mentioned) in Bishop Area Rock Climbs (Croft & Lewis); it's a bit of a dusty/shrubby slog to get to the Wheeler Crest routes, but at least it won't be hot.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Jan 2, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Don't buy that guidebook for what you are looking for... the roads are closed intill the snow melts, like Memorial Day.

David.... the ORG has many cracks to climb.... some bolted, some gear only, some both. Have fun but.........

I hope we will be into day 20 of a 30 day long blizzard in FEB....

we need the water, sorry.

By SirTobyThe3rd
Jan 2, 2014
Hello

Espresso Crack at Little Egypt is amazing. 5.11c fingercrack. Quality.

mountainproject.com/images/41/16/106174116_large_59ac23.jpg

By Todd Townsend
From Bishop, CA
Jan 3, 2014

Ditto to everything that's been said so far. There are also some easier crack climbs in the Alabama Hills and the Benton Crags, if conditions permit.

By Sam Harney
From Bishop, CA
Jan 3, 2014

i will buy whoever brings me back my sling draw i left on an upper pitch of smokestack a beer at rustys! climbed it last week