Beta for skiing/climbing Mont Blanc

By Tim Zander
Mar 14, 2011

I'm going to be attempting a ski mountaineering ascent of Mont Blanc in April and looking for some more beta from someone who has been on the three summits route. Did you need boot crampons? How about ski crampons? I have heard that there is a small ice section that can get crowded, how difficult is it? Where did you get maps from?

Thanks in advance

By George Marsden
Mar 14, 2011

Try contacting Jack Roberts through this site. He has done some guiding in that area and may have beta. You also might call Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder to see if they carry maps/guidebooks for the area.

By Tim Zander
Mar 14, 2011

Thanks for the info. I was in Boulder last weekend and checked out Neptune. There was a good guidebook but they did not have any topos

By Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Mar 14, 2011

You can order the topos from Omni Maps.

www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/alps.htm

Scroll down until you see the guidebook for Tour du Mont Blanc. The two 1:25,000 maps for Mont Blanc are listed there and you can click on them to order.

Yes, you need boot crampons and yes, you need ski crampons. The 3 Mont Blanc route is not the best choice for skiing. It is fairly steep in places and you have lots of uphill to deal with on the way back. The skiing down Mont Maudit and MB du Tacul demands that you be a very good skier.

Most people who go on skis go via the Grand Mulets route, which offers a much better ski descent, IMHO, unless you are looking for something fairly extreme.

By Tim Zander
Mar 15, 2011

I was figuring to not take the same route on the way back down. I have read that the Grand Mulets is no longer favored as the serac danger is greater than the three summit route.

By KPRTX
Mar 9, 2013

I'm heading out with my ski's for mount blanc. I'm interested in anyone's beta?

I like skiing technical lines, steep and narrow is fine, repels, ice, and a little rock is fine for up too. Any info on route selection (not totally boring or overrun by guided groups, if its possible), gear required, hut choice. basically I'm all ears. Thanks!