best TR kid climbing near Moab?

By Josh
From Golden, CO
Nov 13, 2013
Stairway to Heaven (pitch 3)

Hi people of the desert,
My family is going to be in Moab for Thanksgiving this year (through a blessed series of circumstances that allow us to abstain from the usual requirement to be in Phoenix with my in-laws). If we wanted to take our kids climbing somewhere, what's your recommendation?

We'd be looking for easy-moderate toproping that is not too complicated to set up and not too burly to access. Our oldest is almost seven years old. She'll happily climb 5.6-7. Our youngest is 3-- he'll play with toy trucks in the dirt at the base. Maybe he'd hop on the rope to bounce around a bit. Maybe one or two other families join us, but that is far from certain.

I can ropegun just about anything we'd be looking for, but with only two parents watching 2 kids, I'd like to avoid climbing a big, involved pitch myself with my wife hampered by being my belayer. So, the ideal is something with top access or an easy scramble to the anchors. We can bring whatever kind of gear is needed for anchoring.

We'll be coming from Colorado (Golden), and despite living there and climbing for more than 15 years, I have climbed in the Moab area only a tiny bit (criminal negligence, I know...). Thanks so much for any advice you have.

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Nov 13, 2013
Andrew Gram

The best bet is probably School Room Slabs

The only downside is the traffic on Potash Road, but it should be manageable.

Another option, though not really scramble around friendly is Ice Cream Parlor

You might also consider bouldering at Big Bend Bouldering Area

By Josh
From Golden, CO
Nov 14, 2013
Stairway to Heaven (pitch 3)

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

By Moab Utah
Nov 14, 2013

Wall Street will have a narrow window of sunshine at Thanksgiving. Full sun, in November is nice and warm, the shade can be darn cool and taxing for kids. Take a lunch, be out there lunchtime.

By josh holmes
Nov 18, 2013
a picture of rocks

While the climbing is more "kid friendly" at Wall Street the area itself is not. Roadside climbing, think belaying from the back of the truck. There is very little room for children.

So my two cents;

plus one for the ice cream pallor really fun the 5.8's are cruiser easy.
plus one for big bend boulders
plus one for Lizard Rock at the Fischers (have to lead it)
plus one for Owl Rock in Arches (have to lead it)
plus one for Anasazi Tower in Donnely Canyon (have to lead it)

big giant minus to Wall Street on Potash Road. unless letting children play in the street is ok.

By Tug
Nov 18, 2013

Not sure why josh homes is so minus on Wall St. It is by far the most convenient place to take little kids with the easiest climbing and easiest tr set ups. That's the place you want to go if you want to get your kids on the rock.

By josh holmes
Nov 19, 2013
a picture of rocks

@Tug

By haleymay
From Salt Lake City
Nov 19, 2013
hand solo - selfish wall

josh holmes wrote:
@Tug I don't think the shoulder of a highway is a good place for kids to be introduced to desert climbing.

I agree. I have an 8 yr old and a 5 yr old and they have climbed in Indian Creek a few times, but I haven't taken them to Wall St. It's too dangerous. Tourists gawking at the climbers, not paying attention to the road. Don't need my kids that close to that.

By Chris Schmidt
From Moab/SW CO
Nov 19, 2013

some of the pull outs on Wall Street really suck and you don't have much room

the easy slab spots are great big pull outs with plenty of room and Thanksgiving Potash traffic probably will be pretty minimal

By Tug
Nov 19, 2013

Unless your kids can climb 5.10 Indian creek would be a poor choice. . If you actually want your kids to climb take them to WallSt. If you just want your kids to hang out, climb where ever you want. But taking them to owl rock or lizard rock is just bad beta. Guide company's take hoards of kids to wall st all the time because its the only beginner crag here. Icp is not bad but your kids are not going to be able to climb more than a route or two. The Schoolroom1 and schoolroom two have tons of really easy slabs that will keep your kids entertained for as long as they want to climb and they are far enough away from the road where it is safe.