Best State in the lower 48 for alpine climbing?

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Jun 8, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.

Add it all together, winter ski mountaineering, winter ice, summer multipitch rock. Which state give you the best mix of it all?

My list:
1. Wyoming (The Winds AND The Tetons, in one state? Yeah, takes the cake).
2. Colorado
3. California (probably #1 if we took winter out of the equation)
4. Montana (probably #1 if we took summer climbing out of the equation)
5. Washington (would be higher but for the rain)

By Josh Kornish
Jun 8, 2013
The Roach

6. Utah (probably #1 if we take Mormons out of the equation) ;)

All six have stellar climbing!

By John M Ross
From Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Jun 8, 2013

Josh Kornish wrote:
6. Utah (probably #1 if we take Mormons out of the equation) ;)

Dont forget the 3.2% beer they got there!

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Jun 8, 2013
RJN

In this order-
Colorado
Wyoming
California

Colorado has easiest access followed by California then Wyoming.

If its ice your after, Colorado, Wyoming then California.

If its rock, California, Colorado, Wyoming.

That's my 2cents...

By Mark Lynch
Jun 11, 2013

Since ski mountaineering is my thing so here is my list.
NH - born and raised and moved back home to raise family. I know all you ec haters think it doesn't measure up but this my list. 33 days bc skiing and eleven ice climbing days this season. No plane travel and a maritime snowpack.
2. Wyoming - close second but so far have not convinced the wife to move there. :)
3. PNW.

Colorado and Utah for pow skiing lift serve but dislike that hair-trigger snowpack.

By kenr
Jun 11, 2013

Mark Lynch wrote:
ski mountaineering is my thing so here is my list. NH

Eastside Sierra in California along rt 395 from Whitney Portal to Bridgeport for Ski Mountaineering ... completely blows away New Hampshire by any measure of quality or quantity.

Eastide Sierra (in a decent snow year) is also on average more fun per visiting day than all the other USA locations, because of:
  • stable weather
  • snowpack typically stabilizes faster
  • longer descents and tours
  • better road access to trailheads
  • less-steep trails to reach snowline (e.g. than Washington Cascades)
  • great traverse tours (multi-day or fast-and-light)
  • great base camps on snow

Remarkably uncrowded because ... Los Angeles just doesn't have many backcountry skiers. And the San Francisco Bay area is cut off from the southern Eastside by closed mountain pass roads, so they do most of their skiing around Lake Tahoe (to the point where some of the Bay area skiers seem to think that Tahoe is the eastside ... but it's not really)

Ken

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Jun 11, 2013
How I Send

WA - North Cascades, 365 training for the greater ranges.

By jack s.
From Kamloops, BC
Jun 11, 2013
Mean Green P2

I have to agree with the first 6 listed, although must of Utah's climbing highlights don't include ice or Alpine. At least British Columbia trumps everything mentioned so far, but I suppose that is cheating given the thread's title.

By nicholas patterson
From Boulder, CO
Jun 12, 2013
alpine happiness.

colorado.

By Eric8
From Framingham
Jun 12, 2013

Having climbed in all those states except Montana, I would say for alpine climbing Washington is the clear cut number 1 and colorado number 2. WA has more glaciers than all those other states combined. Not that defines alpine climbing but I think is a good indicator. If your talking about ice cragging or rock cragging than it is not number 1.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jun 12, 2013

Don't forget CT.

By jim.dangle
Jun 12, 2013

WA.

By kenr
Jun 13, 2013

jack s. wrote:
British Columbia trumps everything mentioned so far

and Europe trumps B.C. -- and everything else mentioned so far.

By Scott O
From California
Jun 15, 2013
Batman Pinnacle

kenr wrote:
and Europe trumps B.C. -- and everything else mentioned so far.

North America trumps BC, too. I do enjoy that you've put the entire continent of Europe on the level of a state or province, though.